Seeking a Pannier + Backpack combo? if it exists..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
I've just ordered a cheap but solid looking pannier rack for the bike on eBay, and now comes the more expensive bit.. the bags to go on to it. Personally I think I should avoid the cheap end of eBay on this one.

Is there any kind of panniers that double as a backpack / hand-holdable-bag that could be used to carry the likes of laptop and books around a city for short periods of time? Saves the issue of my stuff being stolen from the unattended bike and keeps it handy!

Not sure if such a thing exists that gives the best of both, but if there is I trust some of you will be able to point me to it!

Thanks

I use an Ortlieb Vario system.... which is of no help whatsoever as it is discontinued!

It was basically a pannier, where the straps detached from the top and folded under the bag to a pocket on the front - which is the function of the long zip on the front

Excellent piece of kit

ortlieb-vario.jpg

There are still some around if you look though.

I have the older QL2 system as I can then transfer between bikes / trikes whereas the QL3 requires a rack component that limits use to that bike, or the purchase of a fitting for each rack

The Altura Morph Versa is exactly that. As it happens, I've got one I'm not using -- it's really well designed and well made but it's a bit tall for me to comfortably wear as a backpack (I'm 5' 3"). I could possibly manage it if it had full complement of both hip and sternum straps. Would be happy to send it off to a good home for cost of postage. Let me know if interested.

I'd just flag up that it is made of tough materials but is NOT waterproof. Ortlieb make backpack+pannier combos that are waterproof but I hear they are not terribly comfortable to use as backpacks -- a common problem. Apparently the Altura Morph Versa rates very well at striking the right balance, performing well in either mode.

ETA: Cross posted with @Cunobelin! I don't think the Altura Morph Versa is a current model either but, as with the Ortlieb Vario mentioned, is available on the internet if you have a look around.

The other option with Ortlieb is to look at their conversion kit

Forgive the video - in the US, the use panneeeeers

Means you can use standard Ortlieb panniers and then convert

vickster

Legendary Member
If it doesn't need to be completely waterproof, I have one of these brand new. I bought two, doubt I'll ever use the second. V good piece of kit, has a handle and a shoulder strap which obviously clips on and off as required

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BACOTRV/cordo-transvaal-single-bag

I can send to you for £15 delivered

It held up ok to biblical rain yesterday!! Just clips on securely to a rack with a velcro strap to hold in place :smile:

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
as already mentioned, Ortlieb do a pannier / backpack - or is it an add on? Though I've not used this item I have a fair few items of Ortlieb kit and all have very very good indeed and I have toyed with the idea of buying one. I expect it will be OK, given the likely limitations and maybe limited comfort in rucksack mode. I think it was quite expensive

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As 2 members have come up already who have different models but don't use them. I would have my doubts as to whether I would want to use this type of thing. I would choose a backpack or panniers. Not something that thinks it is both.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As 2 members have come up already who have different models but don't use them. I would have my doubts as to whether I would want to use this type of thing. I would choose a backpack or panniers. Not something that thinks it is both.
Although I mostly strap a haversack onto the rack top, I do have a handheld bag pannier, but it's no longer available, so I suggest what I'd buy today to fill that role.

The trouble with panniers is that they are annoying to carry, mostly. The trouble with backpacks is they have dangly straps which can readily get caught in things.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
I have two of these, they come with a short carry handle on the top as well as a long shoulder strap that can be clipped on. They also have a waterproof hi vis cover that is in a small zipped bit at the bottom as well having a zipped cover for the clips. I would thoroughly recommend them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002KMK27W

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have two of these, they come with a short carry handle on the top as well as a long shoulder strap that can be clipped on. They also have a waterproof hi vis cover that is in a small zipped bit at the bottom as well having a zipped cover for the clips. I would thoroughly recommend them.
Actually, that zip for the rain cover compartment seems to be a weak spot, possibly because it's located right in the line of fire of wheel crap and it's near where you put the bag on the floor.

Nevertheless, the original Basil Sports Single is a good bag (I know someone with two and they've been on tour as well as their usual commuting duty), exceptional value (especially if you get it in one of the occasional £20 discount offers) and despite the name, they proved very popular with commuters, so there's now a less bikey-looking Basil Sports Design range, too.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Actually, that zip for the rain cover compartment seems to be a weak spot, possibly because it's located right in the line of fire of wheel crap and it's near where you put the bag on the floor.

Nevertheless, the original Basil Sports Single is a good bag (I know someone with two and they've been on tour as well as their usual commuting duty), exceptional value (especially if you get it in one of the occasional £20 discount offers) and despite the name, they proved very popular with commuters, so there's now a less bikey-looking Basil Sports Design range, too.
Mine are both singles, I haven't had a problem with bottom zip at the moment, I don't really put them down outside though, I carry them from the house and clip them to the bike then from the bike into my office.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
The Altura Morph Versa is exactly that. As it happens, I've got one I'm not using -- it's really well designed and well made but it's a bit tall for me to comfortably wear as a backpack (I'm 5' 3"). I could possibly manage it if it had full complement of both hip and sternum straps. Would be happy to send it off to a good home for cost of postage. Let me know if interested.

I'd just flag up that it is made of tough materials but is NOT waterproof. Ortlieb make backpack+pannier combos that are waterproof but I hear they are not terribly comfortable to use as backpacks -- a common problem. Apparently the Altura Morph Versa rates very well at striking the right balance, performing well in either mode.

ETA: Cross posted with @Cunobelin! I don't think the Altura Morph Versa is a current model either but, as with the Ortlieb Vario mentioned, is available on the internet if you have a look around.

That's an excellent offer, think I'll take you up on it if possible! Will send a PM :-)

Top Bottom