Seeking advice on 349 wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

niftyprose

Hi guys, my first post here. I'm returning to the world of 349 rims and tyres due to changes in personal circs, having been on 700c for the last decade-and-a-half. I'm hoping to get a very rapid catch-up.

1. I need to have a 349 wheelset built up. I notice that SJS Cycles are selling the Ryde/Rigida 349 UP at a discount. I have an inbuilt prejudice in favour of Euro brands with crap publicity. Has anyone ridden this rim, and would they advise me to do so? If not, what's the best alternative?

2. I guess I could just buy Schwalbe Marathons out of force of habit, but I'm aware that their rolling resistance isn't the best. What's reckoned a good tradeoff for performance and puncture-resistance these days? I won't be riding offroad, but my route involves a couple of miles of gravelly C-road.

3. My 700c wheelbuilder is absolutely brilliant, but I know he's not keen on working with smaller wheels. Can anyone recommend a good builder who will work with my supplied parts? London, South Coast, Bristol all feasible.

Best, NP
Post a reply

chriscross1966

Über Member
Rims id always go with Sun CR18, tyres wise the Kojaks are good, the new Marathon Racer looks like it might be a good combination of speed and puncture resistance... if its a commuter though, just treat it as a training ride and fit Marathon Plus tyres, rolling resistance is a care for weekend bikes :-).. Warlands are good with 349 wheels and will take on anything, the 32 spoke carbon aero 349s on my daily rider as well as the Sun CR18 laced up Campag Record hi-flange on my silly racing Brompton...

Top Bottom