Seeking the impossible - cheap road bike sub 8.5kg that can climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
People like spending, which is fine, but the OP won't be going any faster for 500g. The bike/tyres make that difference. Get another bike as using a CX for everything will be a compromise.

Tyres make a big difference, even on a MTB. I've got some cheap Nobby Nics that roll better than the expensive Minions. The Minions are a real drag on tarmac or climbs, but they are incredibly good for grip, like night and day. The Nobby's are sketchy on descents and off camber, the Minions are planted.

Except he wants to spend no more than £400 which really isn't a huge amount when it comes to 'performance' cycling nowadays

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Be specific about what you want if looking on ebay. There is a massive choice, and some people are still asking silly prices. I just kept looking until something popped up that was nearish, not a stupid price, and it turned out great

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't care how far you rode, a second is within statistical margin of error. It's not worth thinking about. Obviously the below is entirely subjective, but:
Reasonable excuses for getting a new bike:
  • I like the colour.
  • I want a more comfortable ride.
  • The new bike offers features my existing bikes do not.
  • I want to go faster, I'm racing, and I'm already following a well structured training plan.
Not so reasonable excuses for getting a new bike:
  • I want to go faster, I'm not following a training plan or racing but have cash to burn.
Just enjoy riding your bike! :bicycle:

Nobody needs an excuse for buying something they want. Who are you to judge what is "reasonable" or "not reasonable" for someone else.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not really in a position to comment. I have only one bike* and it's relatively heavy, but from time to time I've ridden lighter borrowed bikes.

Typically a lighter, more performance oriented, bike will feel a lot more lively and will just feel faster, even if it isn't. It's fun. And if it's fun to have a bike and it's fun to ride then you may well ride it more and enjoy it more when you do ride it.

I've sometimes considered getting a "fast" bike for that reason. It would be fun and I might well be a bit quicker. But storage considerations dictate against it. At very least I'd have to tidy the garage up first. And that's just not going to happen.

* Plus the other two but I'm not counting them.

Last edited:

fossyant

A quick look on ebay throws up a load of bikes with 105 for less than £400, some even carbon.

Boopop

Guru
Nobody needs an excuse for buying something they want. Who are you to judge what is "reasonable" or "not reasonable" for someone else.
This is a forum isn't it? I thought airing one's views was the whole point. If it looks like someone's itching to spend £400 and based on their own criteria for a worthwhile purchase I think they'll come out of it disappointed, I'm going to say so. If you don't like that then that's on you.

Alex321

Veteran
No intention of spending a grand, don't have that sort of dosh. I have been asking around but I can't find anyone I know who has wheels with road tyre that will fit the Mares. I really don't want to be changing the tyres on my rims, took ages to get them to seal properly.

It probably is worth you getting another set of wheels, and putting road tyres on those.

You can do that for less than the £400 budget you are talking of, it will make more difference on the road than losing half a kilo, and it will only take a couple of minutes to switch between the two according to what type of ride you are planning.

Something like these https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-23-disc-road-wheelset-700c-118917.html

You'll want a couple of rotors and tyres, but total cost should be no more than around £350.

fossyant

It probably is worth you getting another set of wheels, and putting road tyres on those.

You can do that for less than the £400 budget you are talking of, it will make more difference on the road than losing half a kilo, and it will only take a couple of minutes to switch between the two according to what type of ride you are planning.

Something like these https://www.merlincycles.com/dt-swiss-p-1800-spline-23-disc-road-wheelset-700c-118917.html

You'll want a couple of rotors and tyres, but total cost should be no more than around £350.

And a cassette, and get some assorted spacers so you can align the cassette with the one on the other wheelset, as many hubs are a fraction out from each other.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is a forum isn't it? I thought airing one's views was the whole point. If it looks like someone's itching to spend £400 and based on their own criteria for a worthwhile purchase I think they'll come out of it disappointed, I'm going to say so. If you don't like that then that's on you.

Sure, it's a forum. If you don't mind coming across as pompous and jugemental, knock yourself out.

Top Bottom