Seeking the impossible - cheap road bike sub 8.5kg that can climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Sure, it's a forum. If you don't mind coming across as pompous and jugemental, knock yourself out.
Crikey this really is handbags isn't it?
1691154701232.jpeg

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
We settled on Jinny Lane, Steep Section for the climb. 0.33miles and 193ft ascent (11%) - rolling start.
The Mares did it in 2:56 (6.8mph)
Had the honour of using the Wilier and did it in 2:16 (8.8mph)

vickster

Legendary Member
We settled on Jinny Lane, Steep Section for the climb. 0.33miles and 193ft ascent (11%) - rolling start.
The Mares did it in 2:56 (6.8mph)
Had the honour of using the Wilier and did it in 2:16 (8.8mph)

Sounds like you may want to look for a used Willier then :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Dogtrousers - nope. This is something that @FrothNinja could have a go at: https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/24745

Having ridden up The Struggle yesterday I can confirm it is one ('ridden' is a loose term here, but I didn't stop nor put a foot down).

Jameshow

Veteran
£1,000 wheels are just a waste, unless you are racing and want to go 0.00001% slightly faster. You need something at a reasonable weight, and robust. I have handbuilts on the best bike, just 100% reliable and middle ground weight wide - never bought on weight. I have spare wheels for a few bikes but they are for 'different jobs'.

By all means get another bike, but don't expect a kg to make you go faster. There is only one way to go faster, and that's riding more.

Not so try a pair of these and you'll notice the difference from rs10 ditto rs10 over average 32/32 showroom hoops.

https://road.cc/content/review/215130-shimano-dura-ace-c24-carbon-clincher-wheelset?amp

GuyBoden

Guru
I took over 6 hours going the long way up and around Frodsham hill today, my previous record was nearly 8 hours, but I did spend some time under an oak tree getting out of the rain. :laugh:

As you get older, you get slower, that's the simple fact, but always try to enjoy the ride. :okay:

Top Bottom