Seeking the impossible - cheap road bike sub 8.5kg that can climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I take a different approach.

I spend ages devising hilly routes and searching out the biggest hills I can find. These are limited by local geography. I'd cycle up bigger hills if there were any, but you have to make do with what you have.

This is why I think nothing of lugging 3-4kg or so of clobber around in my rack pack. I see it as making up for the shortcomings of the landscape. As well as being useful (tools, spares, waterproof) and tasty (pies and cakes)

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, @FrothNinja certainly isn't short of big hills round here in the NW so he doesn't need to add weight to get a good workout in! :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
Last night ride a big guy of spez S works got dropped on the hills but soon caught me on the decents! Power to weight rules on hills, power rules on flat!!

DogmaStu

Last night ride a big guy of spez S works got dropped on the hills but soon caught me on the decents! Power to weight rules on hills, power rules on flat!!

Hmmm, watts/kg will define most long climbs but power per se doesn't rule the flats; CdA plays a big role too and hence we have the Remco's of the World beating more powerful riders on the flat in TT's. Similarly Cav is far from the most powerful sprinter - his battles against Greipel, Kittel etc were against more powerful men.

Naturally, this translates to Club level too. I'm small and light but drop bigger guys on the flats.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Faster on smooth tarmac, slower on the rest
DSC_9280 - Copy.JPG

DSC_9321.JPG

Proto

Legendary Member
Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Love these kind of threads where fellow ccer's are discussing spending more money than I spent on my complete fleet of bikes just to achieve what ......

DogmaStu

Love these kind of threads where fellow ccer's are discussing spending more money than I spent on my complete fleet of bikes just to achieve what ......

I know someone who spends more money on watches than I do on bikes. For what? Just to tell the time and wear jewellery. Except, it's more than that to him. It's what he enjoys, so who am I to judge just because I wouldn't see the benefit personally?

DogmaStu

DogmaStu

I still ride mine (see avatar) but I have a triple chainset now for the steep stuff which I can't get up on a 39 tooth ring any more!

Very nice! I wish I had kept my bikes through the years. Miss a few great machines that would serve me well today.

Top Bottom