Seeking the impossible - cheap road bike sub 8.5kg that can climb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
my tuppence worth
my best times on strava are set on my old boardman around 2014 , alloy and about 8.5-9 kg .since then i have got a carbon and lighter wheels but im still chasing the PBs i set

As we get older the fast times achieved as a young rider will never be achieved again, but I enjoy the slower rides more. ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Have a look at Yorkshire Cycling Sales FB page - someone we know is selling a 56cm Cube on there. Currently £490 but I'd suggest an offer.

It's be well under your 8kg requirements :okay:

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
My £500 carbon bike...

£250 frame

£100 wheels 1.5kg

Tiagra levers (£120 new) half that s/h

Focus FSA chain set £30irrc

Other stuff from parts bin!
IMG-20230808-WA0016.jpeg

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Hello Hive of Wisdom
Suspect I'm seeking the impossible - a reliable cheap road bike sub 8.5kg that can climb well.
I'm 5'8" and the budget is c.£400 but will stretch for a bike with proper climbing gearing.
My CX's kerb weight is just over 9kg and it climbs well enough (105) but I would like to get up the local lumps a bit quicker.
I am pretty sure I will have to make do with cable operated bikes and something that is over 5 years old (closer to 10 I suspect).
Any suggestions of what to look for?
Thanks

It depends on what you mean, if your aim is purely hill climbing it's time to get a light frame and start being a weight weenie in every respect, I doubt there's an affordable off the peg bike that will magically turn hills into climbing magic, you have two options, lower your expectations and slow down quite a bit, or lose a lot of weight from the bike and yourself.

Alex321

Veteran
8kg approx. Could have gone lighter with 105 / ultegra but wanted 10spd underbar shifters and 105 were said to be finicky??

I don't think they are particularly finicky, but they aren't underbar shifters, they are the brifter type. You may be able to get 11 speed mtb shifters that would work with 105, if the pull ratios are the same, but they aren' designed to.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I don't think they are particularly finicky, but they aren't underbar shifters, they are the brifter type. You may be able to get 11 speed mtb shifters that would work with 105, if the pull ratios are the same, but they aren' designed to.

I think they meant the old 10 speed 105 when the cables were routed under the bar tape had a tendency to be not as precise shifting wise as the version before with external cable routing .

Top Bottom