Seen my first ever 'Speed Wobble'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apparently altering the retail price of a bicycle changes the laws of physics...

HovR

Über Member
First time I have even heard of this, rather scary stuff. Never had this problem though, but that could be down to my bike being £1,000 even the Allez got that to 50mph and nothing of this nature. The Allez was stable as the rock and easy to control.

Any bike can speed wobble given the right conditions, no matter the cost or quality of the bike. Most of it is down to rider form and descending technique. Just look at the video in the OP's link - The bike is descending fine until the rider gives it the right conditions to initiate a wobble (albeit an extreme example which the rider purposely initiates).

Only experienced a wobble once: on a Trek 4400 towing a Yak Bob. The wobble came at about 40-45 kmh and threw me, resulting in a broken collar bone.

It was very scary, but hopefully I know how to correct it if it should happen again.

Although I'll never tour with a trailer again.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I often get a speed wobble when I'm going up steep (or moderate) hills. I fail to maintain enough "speed" to keep equilibrium and end up wobbling all over the place. Fortunately I'm so slow that I'm not visible to the human eye thus escaping any embarrassment.:bicycle:

DWiggy

Über Member
I've got a cheapo old Raleigh road bike (See avatar) both wheels only cost me £50 and have never had a speed wobble, i've maxed her out at 42mph (just get a random squeak) but i'm always loose gripped and never tend to put too much weight on the front even when tucked in! Most of my weight is on the peddles.

oldroadman

Veteran
I have only once been anywehere near a wobble, during a race dropping offf a pass, descending at about 90kph, simply grip the top tube with the knees, relax, let physics do the rest, and a bit more weight forward. The moto technique is similar, my old moto will shimmy at 40 but only hands off, however the trick with the moto is lean hard on the bars, grip tank, and don't change speed too fast. Works every time.
Although on a well designed two wheel vehcle with or without power, it should be a very rare thing. Of course, if you load the tthing up with weighty panniers and the like at the rear, that disturbs the whole distribution of forces, and then the trouble can start!

OP
OP
avsd

avsd

Guru
simply grip the top tube with the knees, relax, let physics do the rest, and a bit more weight forward.

That is how to handle a speed wobble. I practiced doing it a little going downhill today (without a wobble) just in case I ever need to do if in a real situation.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I had one years ago... coming down a f'off hill near Windermere, fully laden back panniers and a 60litre rucksack on my back.... it went weeeeeeeeeeeeee:biggrin:eeeeeee ... wobblewobble:eek:wobblewobble .... arrgggghhhhhhhh:stop: managed to slow down and stay on though... and I've never entered a big tempting down hill so readily since :whistle:

tiswas-steve

Über Member
I had a speed wobble Coming down Westerham Hill yesterday, gave it a decent pedal on the crest, started picking up speed around the bend, then the bike started wobbling quite a bit once the hill straighten out in front of me. I just relaxed and waited till the road flatten out. In my head I was thinking "Eeeeeek !!"
Once I stopped, I had to check my Garmin for the speed ..... 45.77mph.
Taking note of the technique to calm it down, cheers guys.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had a speed wobble about 25 years ago coming down a long hill near Perth, Western Australia, but I was a lot younger then with less experience in cycling. I was doing 50mph. I did the same speed 2 years ago, and not the slightest wobble, so I guess I must have done the right things this time, i.e. keeping my weight forward as mentioned in that web page.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had a speed wobble on a motor bike at 60mph+, a guaranteed constipation cure, I'm sure I've had one on a pedal bike as well but cant remember what happened.

Top Bottom