Seeya! - arallsopp does the LEL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
1436hrs. Depart Traquair

I claim a goodbye wave from the be-kilted and am dazzled by the transformation to mood that a little sunshine and food will do. Looking around, I find I am in a hidden valley, 160m above sea level, surrounded by stunning peaks.

There are barely 25 miles between me and Dalkeith, and whilst the hills close in once again on the tiny road as it winds Northwards, I am amazed to find myself crossing a near perfectly level Innerleithen Golf Course. The closely flanking slopes surely prevent a ball straying too far from the fairway, but there is no doubt that the rising breeze is making it hard going for the handful of players.

I remember checking this leg before I left, and know there are two big climbs up ahead, one around 370m, the other above 400m. Two miles out, the first climb begins. The valley narrows, the little road is bounced around wildly between domineering bens, the valley floor is pinched down to a river's width, then slowly raised skywards.

8 miles in, I hit the top of the first peak. The wind continues to rise, and I am down to ~7mph going full tilt. Although the next 2 and a half miles are a pretty steep descent, the wind forces me to push hard on the pedals just to keep moving. The thought of coming back on this road a few hours hence, with the wind behind me, keeps my spirits up. I am also gaining a much needed mental lift from the increasing numbers of returning riders greeting me on the road. I have spent much of the last 420 miles on my own, and it is wonderful to be in the company of other riders, even if we’re passing each other at a closing speed of 30+mph. I spot GerryC in a group of 4 or so, and not far behind them, my LongHairedScouser.

One more climb in a strong sidewind, and I am finally rewarded with a view that takes in Lammer Law, West Lomond, Arthurs Seat, Leith, Dunfermline, and the Firth of Forth. Somewhere beneath me is Dalkeith, and (even better) there are 10 miles of freshly surfaced tarmac to reel it in.

As the descent opens up my mood begins to change. For the first time in the last two days, I start fearing the return leg. I've been dropping like a Stukka for 5 miles now, hovering around the 37 mph mark, and watching Southbound randonneurs blip past me on the climb. No more waving. This is white knuckle all the way.

It is stunningly beautiful, but I cannot even begin to consider how I'm going to get back up. "All downhills must be earned" rings in my ears, and I know I definitely prefer to pay in advance.

As countryside slowly concedes its grip, I hope to hell that Dalkeith will come soon. I join the A7 and am treated to yet another sickening plunge, way down, down past the mining museum my wife has a bookmark from, down between lorries and buses, down through road markings, bus stops, streetlamps, a series of roundabouts. My ears pop against the city's roar, I am building speed all the way.

The GPS beeps with 500ft to go and I brake heavy to slide into the control at 11 minutes past 4.

3877620597_af8aafffd9_b.jpg

VIDEOS:
Previous sections:
Day 1, Part I (Start to Thorne)
Day 1, Part II (Thorne to Alston)

This section:
Day 2, Part I (Alston to Dalkeith)

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Tuesday 1611hrs. 446 miles. At Dalkeith Control.

Definite air of relief indoors as we reach the half way point. The motorcycle support riders are here too, and the camaraderie is evident. Its sunny outside, and we know there will be no surprise hills on the route back South. The organisers have allowed entrants to arrange a small bag drop at Dalkeith. Mine has a change of clothes, some energy bars, a couple of inner tubes, and a few gels. It is testament to the quality of provisions at each control that I do not need to replenish anything I have brought with me. I even consider shedding the 6 cereal bars I've carried the last ~450 miles, but decide these don't weigh much, and might just save me later on.

I grab some food and allow myself to process the previous 50 hours since leaving Lea Valley. I'm ahead of schedule, and have around 2 days, 18 hours to get back to London. Curiosities of the routing around Gainsborough mean my return leg will be almost 20 miles shorter, and I consider adding to the 40 minutes I've already spent here with a few hours kip and a wash.

Once again, I'm caught by the lump in my schedule that is night fall. It'll take at least 3 hours to get through Traquair, and maybe another 2 to get to Eskdalemuir. Whilst the sun and I are high in the sky now, it is almost 5pm. After sundown the pass is going to be pretty cold. As an option, Alston is maybe reachable by 2am, but I daren't tackle Yad Moss in the dark again. Best bet will be to head out of here in the next few minutes, get myself to the next control and make a call on it. If its dry, I can push on and sleep at Alston until sun up. If not, I'll grab whatever I can at Eskdalemuir and head off a couple of hours before dawn. This all sounds suitably achievable, and I trek back out to the 'bent once more.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Tuesday 1702hrs. Exit Dalkeith. I’m coming home.

As I clamber back up the A7, I am treated to the confidence inducing sight of Northbound riders coming my way. I almost definitely started *after* each one that I see, and remember passing many of them in prior stages. The mood is friendly and waves float towards me from each group. Audaxing is not a competitive event.

I know from the ride in that the next 10 miles will see me climb to 400m, and I pitch myself into the hill with renewed legs. Over the next 5 miles, my 17mph at the bottom gradually drops to a little over 6. It’s all miles clocked off though, and I am also finding this is the most sociable part of the ride so far. Whilst a loaded recumbent isn’t ideal for hill-climbing, the advantages of lower wind resistance mean I’m climbing at about the same speed as the uprights. As the headwind continues to rip into us. I spend a happy couple of miles trading places in a two man chain-gang. No words are spoken. All energies are directed towards the pedals. Although the going is easier I know this is slower than I would travel under my own power, so with some regret I pull away from my only riding partner of the event so far, and force myself up the remaining slope alone.

Just before a quarter past 6 I reach the second peak. Cresting as the road kinks left then right, I am greeted by the wind rushing up the southern side of the summit. The force of it near stops me in my tracks, and I wobble to a halt dropping another couple of gears.

The view to the South across the Moorfoot Hills is equally impressive, not least because most of it is downhill. This time, I descend into an emerging valley, losing altitude to the continued peaks that flank me. The wind is alternately behind me, to the side, slamming into my front, pushing me off the road. I greet oncoming randonneurs with shouts of “one more hill!” but their replies are stolen by the gale.

Short climb at Dewar, then descend to join Leithen Water at Colquhar. I know I’m almost there when I see the golf course, and take the chance, once again, to marvel at the tenacity of players now hacking their way up the back nine, 40 yards at a time. More oncoming cyclists as I cross the river on the approach to Innerleithen, and again on the way out. The wind whips the sunshine away to drizzle, and a few minutes later, I am huddled at the edge of the road, clambering into the Traquair Control for shelter.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Tuesday 1914hrs: Traquair Again.

I know the routine by now, and manage to grab my own porridge. The bulk of riders here are headed South, but all are beginning to look a little ragged. One lady introduces herself to me by way of “Do you have any pro-plus?”

As I’m packing a box of 48 in the seat bag and have only used 4, I tell her I likely have a few outside she can take. I am a little taken aback when she takes this response to mean “Please dive into my bag and rummage through until you find what you need” but understand that necessity outranks protocol. I take a few minutes to sort the bag back into some semblance of order, which affords me discovery of an additional 5 zipties that had filtered their way out of sight. This reminds me... I didn’t manage to arrange to meet David with that idler. Damn.

Oh well, the ties have held thus far, and I know how to fix them if something happens. I’m happy to rely on the current solution a while longer. Right. Where’d that lady go?

I trail my caffeine supply back to a table indoors, and get a proper introduction to Denise and her companions, Tomsk of Yacf and a Lithuanian who might be called Rimas . I join the conversation and discover that Denise was an early starter, and is thus facing a curfew some 6 hours earlier than mine at Lea Valley. She’s in a bad way, and with only 2 hours grace cannot afford to rest here. Tom seems committed to getting her through the next few stages, and I hear that they plan to hit Alston before sleep.

Outside the wind has continued to build, and those with time in hand are opting to wait in and see if it blows out. I’m not so sure its going to do much else but rain for the night, and figure if I’m going to get wet anyway, might as well do it in the light. That said, the light is fading fast, and I take a ‘safety in numbers’ approach of joining the exiting pace-line whilst I can.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Tuesday 1936hrs: Depart Traquair. Into the storm

As we set off, I first try to stay with, then within 200 yards of the group. I’m happy to take my time at the front, but low slung on the ‘bent, I’m not offering much shelter to the person behind me. Tom and I are tackling things at about the same speed, and its only when he pulls in front that I realise... he’s riding FIXED!

South through Kirkhouse, trees to my left, fields to the right. Sunlight dies in shades of grey and the pack huddle in for the climb. An inky blackness steals the stars.

...Meanwhile, to the South East, the Met Office issues Cumbria with a severe weather warning. Residents are advised not to make any unnecessary journeys...

We drop into Mountbenger, then climb due East towards Crosslee. Our phones are dead. Its slow going. The GPS is unlit, only waking itself up for the occasional turn. The rising rain is beating into our faces, but we figure we can push through. Less than 30 miles to go. The deluge builds. A Cimmerian curtain cloaks us. As I stop beside Tom and wait for the others, we realise water is beginning to fill the valley.

...To the North West, a tornado hits Stornaway. Windows are smashed, cars are flipped, the grid fails.

Between the two, our little troupe. Time stops. Everything becomes meaningless. I read afterwards that the headwind was pushing us back at +60kph, gusting at twice that. For the moment, we are blind, pedalling against a solid wall of rain. Prayers stolen from Kagyu Samye Ling crash through the valley, tearing at our faces before being lost to the maelstrom around us. For two hours I focus only on keeping with the rider in front, little red lights dancing like bubbles of oxygen, just out of reach. White dragons unfurl behind our wheels, formations of white chevrons tailing us. Nobody dares slow down. Nobody dares stop. 10 feet apart, I see no one for 20 miles.

At twenty to eleven, we catch the flicker of electric light to our left. The control is upon us. We pull up, exhausted, hypothermic, drenched through. Hands fumble, limbs fail. We stand in the rain because we can’t remember to get inside. In a moment of horror, we find we are only two. Somewhere behind, Rimas and Denise continue to fight their way through the dark towards us.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
nigelnorris said:
This is an awesome tale, the best thing I've read in a long time. You have a gift for words and a story to match, can't wait for the rest.
+ 1 - this is awesome stuff, absolutely gripping.

I know you make it .... but .... HOW :rolleyes:

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

S'alright for you. You *live* in Edinburgh. You'd have known what to expect. :biggrin:
Here was me, in a lightweight windproof jacket and a base layer, thinking 'how wet can it get' :laugh:

Now I know. Thanks for reading along. Its very cathartic to write this stuff down, but even better to know that its being read :tongue:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
A fine read as well, I check daily in the hope of the next instalment

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Right. That's it. I'm off to write the next leg. :biggrin:

Blimey I've got mood swings today. I've got my "stalked by a grand piano" look on.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
arallsopp said:
Right. That's it. I'm off to write the next leg. :biggrin:

Blimey I've got mood swings today. I've got my "stalked by a grand piano" look on.
I've got a grand piano but it seems to still be in the lounge. Is it any particularly grand piano stalking you, or just a general thing that pianos like to do?

Top Bottom