Segregated, none-broken, cycle lanes on all A roads by 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Yeah because we really need a segregated cycle way on this road. :headshake:
When I clicked your link on a mobile browser last night it took me to the Maps app and lost the link to the actual location. But then it defaulted to the road I live just off so the intended message still works ...

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I can appreciate that , but there has to be a mindset change in the longterm rather than segregating as the solution

One way to do that could be to entice more folk out of their cars and onto bikes, so we have more drivers who also cycle, but I fear with the roads as they are, most non cyclists perceive it (however misplaced that perception may be) to be just too dangerous.

I don't know what the answer is tbh, but perhaps more dedicated cycle routes alongside the busiest of roads and to schools could be a start. I understand the 'we are traffic' mantra and agree to a point, but I can't see how that helps the newbies/ less confident cyclists.

On my commute for example, (for about 6 rural miles), I have a choice of a 5 foot wide cycle path (not ideal but better than nowt - to the right of the road on the link) or a national speed limit, very busy, straight road, (A road) on which drivers regularly overtake dangerously, speed and do all the usual dumb stuff drivers do. I'd rather sell the bike than go on that road and judging by the heavy usage the cycle path gets, I'm not alone! I'd be all for more routes like this.

Davidc

Guru
No.

Large scale segregation would worsen driver attitudes. Bikes are part of the traffic, just slow vehicles which some of the others need to relearn how to live with.

Segregation is a good idea on a small number of A roads, generally but not always there are alternatives that are better cycle routes.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Praps we all have different needs according to our environment and the kinds of riding we do. Us happy, jeans n' old T shirt, slow pootlers are maybe more inclined to enjoy getting about away from cars hairing past, within an inch of our handle bars at 70 mph, than our Lycra clad cousins?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2257130, member: 45"]That's the point. We're all different kinds of cyclist. It's easy to make the mistake of assuming that everyone else is or should be the same as we are.[/quote]

Too right. And I have nothing against the road cyclists at all. Only it's just about as far removed from the kind of cycling I do as mud wrestling. I don't disagree with the 'I am traffic' folks at all, especially in more urban areas, but there are places around here that could really do with some decent off road alternatives.

Sara_H

Guru
Too right. And I have nothing against the road cyclists at all. Only it's just about as far removed from the kind of cycling I do as mud wrestling. I don't disagree with the 'I am traffic' folks at all, especially in more urban areas, but there are places around here that could really do with some decent off road alternatives.
Same for me - I don't mind mixing it up with other traffic generally (but not on some of the A roads mentioned), but when I'm out with my son I want good segregated routes.
If we want everyone to ride a bike for transport, then we need good infrastructure for people who haven't got the ability to cycle among cars, lorries etc.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Same for me - I don't mind mixing it up with other traffic generally (but not on some of the A roads mentioned), but when I'm out with my son I want good segregated routes.
If we want everyone to ride a bike for transport, then we need good infrastructure for people who haven't got the ability to cycle among cars, lorries etc.
Correct.
People like me, that ride mainly for transport, without claiming great speeds or distances, could be put off by the stress of riding in traffic.
I learned how to deal with it, others may give up after the first close pass.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On my commute for example, (for about 6 rural miles), I have a choice of a 5 foot wide cycle path (not ideal but better than nowt - to the right of the road on the link) or a national speed limit, very busy, straight road, (A road) on which drivers regularly overtake dangerously, speed and do all the usual dumb stuff drivers do. I'd rather sell the bike than go on that road and judging by the heavy usage the cycle path gets, I'm not alone! I'd be all for more routes like this.
This problem might be reframable. You've framed it as "this road is not safe for bikes". Here are some possible reframings.

1. "Drivers on this road are not used to sharing it with cyclists". Solution - no-one rides on the cycle path. Everyone rides on the road. Drivers get used to sharing the road with cyclists.

2. "Drivers drive faster than is safe on this road". Solution - implement and monitor a lower speed limit. Drivers drive at an appropriate speed to share the road.

3. "Drivers use this road as a rat run instead of the neighbouring A14". Solution - block the road to drivers - install a gate or bollards. The only drivers that will use the road are locals with access rights.

I'm not saying that any or all of the above are necessarily solutions to this particular problem. But they might be. I'm also not saying that a separated path is never an appropriate solution - the path between Luton and Harpenden that last Saturday's forum ride went on appeared to be an entirely appropriate solution to the problem, as do the A9 cycle paths over Slochd and Drumochter.

subaqua

What’s the point
2257053 said:
With or without with an exception for when carrying a passenger of reduced mobility.
so positive discrimination is OK ? why would it be more acceptable for a person with limited mobility (PLM) to use a taxi lane in a taxi than a person with no mobility issues . most taxis have access ramps ( they all should really - mini cabs are NOT taxis) to allow PLM to access them . but this is going slightly off on a tangent

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
2257475 said:
That is the only circumstance under which I see taxis as fulfilling a public transport functiom, as opposed to a private one.
I'd like to hear the reasoning.

I think public transport is sometimes confused with mass transit, I feel taxis are a form of public transport open to all who are prepared to pay the premium price. My reasoning is that in London, say, the Underground is more expensive than travelling by bus, such that plenty of folk cannot afford to use the Underground, but we don't argue that the Underground is not public transport because of its relative cost.

Top Bottom