Seized brake pivot nut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brento10

Regular
I have tried to remove the brake pivot nut from my carbon framed road bike but it appears to be seized in position. I removed the front brake caliper from the frame applied a lot of penetrating spray but the nut is still seized in the front forks.
I have tried gently tapping with a soft faced mallet and still no joy, has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you resolve it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

gazza1286

I would knock the nut further into the hole slightly and then tap it back into its current position. Repeating this several times will probably free it up by dislodging and crud and rust etc. Use plenting of wd40 to wash away the debris.
These nuts have a habit of causing problems. I've replaced mine with titanium which seem to work fine.

OP
OP
Brento10

Brento10

Regular
I would knock the nut further into the hole slightly and then tap it back into its current position. Repeating this several times will probably free it up by dislodging and crud and rust etc. Use plenting of wd40 to wash away the debris.
These nuts have a habit of causing problems. I've replaced mine with titanium which seem to work fine.
Will give your suggestion a try thanks for the advice

OP
OP
Brento10

Brento10

Regular
Suggestion worked after several back and forth tapping and lubrication it came free.
Many thanks
Photo of the offending nut attached

Attachments

• IMG_20190916_200927.jpg
    IMG_20190916_200927.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom