Seized Nipples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have wheels that are maybe 15 years old, the spoke nipples turn easy, but the newer wheels (hunts) two years old the nipples are seized or really tight. Modern stuff is crap. What do you think?

I think there's no need for caps.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Aluminium nipples are the devil's work - as you have discovered. Replace all (one at a time) with brass.
Bet your 15 year old wheels have brass nipples.
Edit to add: No, I don't think modern stuff is cap. No need for caps.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Alloy nipples are fine in a properly built wheel, because it won't need touching until the rim wears out. They tend to snap in half if the spokes are too short, but that would also be the builder's fault.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Personally I always choose brass nipples for my builds, and never any threadlocker.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Brass nipples are to be preferred as they are self lubricating. I always use a bit of grease on the spoke threads as well when building. Sounds like Hunt didn’t use brass and no grease when building.

Grammar failure here. There is every need for a capital letter when starting a sentence or using the first person singular personal pronoun.
not online/in texts in short simple sentences - and I passed on not pointing out the to/o error as I know the poster is sensitive on such things.
(but as per the comment from another upthread I am surprised that he bothered responding to a throwaway joke with a barb.
toodle pip

Top Bottom