Seized on pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Plus gas worked a treat on my seat post.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Plenty of penetrating oil and leave to soak/creep in then point the pedal forwards and the spanner back and stand on the spanner.
I was going to remind everyone that the left pedal has a reverse thread but you have effectively beaten me to it!

If someone didn't know that and was trying to undo an UN-seized left pedal as if it had a normal thread then it would certainly FEEL seized.

robgul

Legendary Member
Tales from the LBS : Make it easier by removing the crankset and holding the crank arm in a vice - flat with the pedal uppermost if a 15mm spanner flat to remove, or downwards if an inside face Allen key to remove. Pad the vice jaws with some corrugated cardboard and a thick rag wrapped round the crank arm. Holding the crank arm firm lets you get some real effort behind the spanner/Allen key (the big Park workshop pedal wrench works wonders!)

... but try the penetrating oil/boiling water first. AND you could, with the crank arms off, immerse the pedal end in a bath of a penetrating fluid (diesel fuel would be the cheapest) and leave to soak for a bit.

Rob

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Put a longer hollow metal pipe over the spanner if you have one to give extra leverage.

Galvanic corrosion ( what you have there ) is a sod to deal with. Heat the pedal / crank interface with a brazing torch, let it cool, spray on some GT85 or WD40 ( the only time WD40 should go anywhere near a bike ) re heat it, then put a pedal spanner on it, and smack it with a hammer, until it shifts. Alternatively get an Allen key, weld an extension on, then stand on it, till it shifts.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
After leaving some penetrating fluid in place, I remove stuck pedals as follows:
Position crank forward and up
Position spanner rearwards and up.
Apply brakes
Stand carefully on spanner. Bounce my weight . You need a spanner that will not slip or twist. Add some length with a "Tommy bar" extension made of suitability dimensioned steel tube.
This only works on the ground, not in a repair stand.

If using hands on the spanner, wear gloves and always be aware of where your hands and fingers will end up if something slips.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I bought a new bike from a now defunct LBS. My first move was to change the pedals after about a week. In order to get them off I had to resort to a 4ft section of scaffolding pole to extend the spanner. When next in the shop I mentioned this problem and the owner showed me the spanner he used to fit new pedals. It was about a foot long and he said he used his full weight to tighten the pedals. Surprised he did not strip the threads using this method.

Top Bottom