Seized Rack bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
One of my bike's lower rack bolts has seized on the non drive side. Well I say seized I can't get it undone with my multitool as I need a more manly Allen key so will wait till I can get the socket Allan key set out. Have removed the other bolts re-greased and re-fitted. The one remaining seized one is the one that is causing the mudguard stay to rattle as at some point it must have loosened now won't shift either to tighten or undo. I'm worried it will sheer. So in the mean time I have folded some tin foil and inserted into the small gap to stop the rattling. Used a screw driver to push the foil right into the gap so it doesn't fall out. No rattling now :laugh:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Plusgas is your friend for unseizing bolts. Apply, allow to soak, try, repeat as necessary.

That's if your bigger allen key doesn't help.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Arch, thanks for the tip. As it's only an M5 bolt there is a real risk that it will sheer if I use too much force with an Allen socket and bar and then I WILL BE REALLY...... stuck. So as the rattling of the mudguard stay has now stopped using my foil spacer bodge technique allowing peaceful cycling once more, I might leave well alone for the time being until I get my other winter commuter out and running and I can lay the Sirrus up, or on it's side so to speak, to let penetrating fluid penetrate the seized bolt threads. It's a good idea to periodically remove all bolts and nuts on your bike and re-lube or use copper slip/anti-seize paste in the first place. Trouble is manufacturers or most LBS don't.

Top Bottom