Selected photos of ride in Italy and Switzerland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raybo

Guru
In July, 2023, I did an 18 day tour of Northern Italy and Switzerland. Of the over 1250 photos I took, I've selected about 55. I rode through several river valleys (Piave, Brenta, Adige, Inn, Brembo, and others), so there are lots of water pictures

It was a good tour. Switzerland is always beautiful. In Italy it was hot and humid. In Switzerland, it was rain and thunderstorms. An interesting combination.

One highlight was the Engaden (Inn River) Valley in southeast Switzerland. The milky blue Inn river starts near the Maloja Pass, which separates Italy and Switzerland west of St. Moritz, an area full of very pretty lakes.

The bike paths along the rivers in Italy are an inspiration and I saw dozens, if not hundreds, of bike riders on them. Some places I saw for the second time. The Valsugana (Brenta River Valley) is as beautiful as ever, though in July very busy. There are now Bici Grills right on these bike paths that offer food, drink, shade, toilets and even showers which make biking on these piste ciclabile even better!

The Adige Bike Path (which also has several Bici Grills) starts in Verona (I got on in Trento) and goes all the way up and over the Passo di Resia (and further into Austria). It was easy to follow, had lots of services, many wild sections, wasn't too steep until the last 10 miles, and was a great route.

You can see the route I rode here: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/435988

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Some very nice photos there, it looks like you had a lovely trip. I was in South Eastern Switzerland this summer as well, I rode an off-road Mountain bike loop starting and finishing in Scoul.

I had to smile at your bakery photo because I stopped and had a coffee there on my last day.

Very nice photos. Great for a bit of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

I've done a bit of wandering in those parts.

September storms in that part of the world can be sudden and violent! Italian drivers on the road I found to be perfectly amenable but once inside town limits became hunters and me their prey ^_^.
Verona was jam packed full of tourists but the campground there that overlooks the city and has vines with grapes over the tent..... magical.
It seemed that every town in the mountains had delicious, fresh water, sometimes carbonated either free or for a tiny fee.
I had the horrifying experience of arriving in Italy and not having a single word of Italian^_^ Ended up on an Autopista (not to be recommended) and encountered some vicious guard geese - more terrifying than the dogs! An incredibly helpful and friendly local encouraged a farming family to raid their old nuts and bolts box to find me a solution when my saddle pin snapped.
And the Austrian (and southern German) "Gruss Gott" always gets me, for some reason.

Heading out of Austria and towards Italy.........
P1010900.jpg

Getting closer to the border.............. Unedited, completely natural.
IMG_20160913_122853.jpg

Verona. Away from the crazy and up to the lazy........
IMG_20160918_150508.jpg

Top Bottom