Self Build Bamboo Bike Frame Kit Build Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
How do the tubes attach to each other?

Hemp cloth, epoxy and prayers.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Aftermarket care is something to be expected; not something you have to pay for either. So, I still maintain that £260 + Hours of your labor to build a "cheap and renewable" frame.. Kinda weird.

Oh, and actually I did find DIY bamboo kits as cheap as £160 as well, which had decent reviews and provided everything you needed as well, so maybe you paid 40% more for better quality steel inserts..? or more likely excessive packaging, beer & skype calls.

Well at the end of the day you get what you pay for and no, there was no excess packaging on here. I was the one who put their money where their mouth was and bought it and I personally think it was good value for money. I've no wish to over analysis this, I just fancied an interesting challenge for the winter and create something unique and original.

So back on topic:

How do the tubes attach to each other?

Hemp cloth, epoxy and prayers.

Well, it's a little more than that, there is also glue involved, but thats the general principle. There's currently a friend of a friend who's cycling round South America on one of these, so I've a lot of faith in the process.

reacher

I believe theirs some Australian dude who tears up an down climbs matching a lot of the pros out training, on a bamboo bike, skinny guy eats the leaves from trees an not much else

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So in an attempt to get this thread back on to it's intended track here's tonights small piece of work.

I've moved on to the seat post now and the first job is to select a suitable piece of Bamboo from the pile. Firstly it needs to be close to 30mm internal diameter, secondly you need to pay close attention to where the nodal wall is (The "Bulkheads" that run across the bamboo). Basically the longest section without a wall you can find, will allow you to insert enough length of seat tube.

Because you can't clamp a seat post into Bamboo, they also provide a metal sleeve in the kit, that sits inside the top of the seat post. The instructions are a little incorrect here though. They state that 150mm of sleeve should be inserted into the post and a further 20mm should protrude for bonding with the hemp later. Not only does this not allow for the seat post clamp, but the sleeve itself is only 150mm long!

So I decided to place the seat post clamp on the sleeve, then leave a gap of 15mm to the top of the seat post tube. I then taped the sleeve into the tube, so that I could place it on the plans and determine the length of post I required. Once I marked this off I trimmed the post to length and then preceded to mitre the end so it would fit the BB shell.

IMG_20171013_213524688.jpg

IMG_20171013_213515292.jpg

IMG_20171013_220747220.jpg

So I just need to notch this post now so it fits against the down tube and then were done and can move on to the top tube.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
First discrepancy!:stop:
Before doing anything, contact the bamboo bike club and ask them about it.
See what they say,:whistle:
It could be that the wrong insert has been packed for your kit.

Keep's your back covered.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ok about time for an update I think.

The Seat post sleeve is really not a concern, there is more than enough insert in the Bamboo to do the job it's meant to to.

So before moving on I took a long hard look at the work that I'd done on the down tube and decided it really wasn't up to scratch, the mitres were not straight enough on the Head tube and BB. So I took the hard decision to bin the tube and start again. Luckily there's a spare main tube in the kit for just such an occasion. So I've spent lots of time this last week carefully measuring and sanding a new down tube. I went a lot slower this time and tried to not make the same mistakes as before. Pretty pleased with the fit this time.

IMG_20171020_212405076.jpg

The real key is making sure that it is truly at 90 degrees to the BB mitre and the last one wasn't. This one though is spot on.

Next it was back to the Seat tube. After the end of the tube is mitred to fit the BB shell ,it needs cutting to fit over the top of the Downtube. Again slow and careful was the order of the day.

IMG_20171020_212547421.jpg

propped up on the BB shell it fits really well:

IMG_20171020_212145448.jpg

IMG_20171020_212248927.jpg

So there we go, a lot of effort and only two tubes completed! I'm enjoying myself though and I'm in no rush. Hopefully the top tube won't take so much effort.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
nice to see how the kit is all working out! If you want to see a frame built over a few minutes you tube channel

Good to see you pop in and follow along! I've watched those videos numerous times, a good way to clarify a point or visualise the next step.

Well I've managed to finish cutting and shaping the top tube and here it is lying loosely in place. The next step is to glue the three tube's into place, but there's a fair bit of preparation work to do first.

IMG_20171023_180006783.jpg

Bamboo isn't anything special in terms of the material; except, it's grown like a plant and is very renewable. - So its main trump card should be the price, hence, my "eh" attitude to the whole thing having such a price gap
My motivation for buying this would be experience, not price.

It's a bit daft to factor in the "price" of labour in what is essentially a hobby project. Comparing a industrially manufactured product with a DIY wood alternative is a bit like comparing ASDA's smart price white loaf (which is essentially 75% sawdust) with homemade organic sourdough bread.

Asda-smart-price-medium-sliced-white-bread.jpg

how_to_make_sourdough_08213_16x9.jpg

Top Bottom