1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Build Bamboo Bike Frame Kit Build Thread

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by chriswoody, 12 Oct 2017.

1. alicat

alicat Guru

Looking fab. So what are you going to do for the rest of the winter?

2. OP
    OP
    chriswoody

chriswoody Über Member

What's a little hard to discern from the pictures is that the left hand seat stay wraps around to almost the centre line of the Seat post and when I've finished the right hand one, then that should also do the same, so in effect they will be almost touching. I do need to leave some room for the wrapping of the hemp and as you say the biggest concern is wheel clearance so I also need to keep checking for that and making sure that there is enough room also.

There's still a long way to go on this! I've the Seat Stays to finish, then the brake and Chain Stay bridges to make and fit. Then the rear triangle needs tacking, before the all important lugs needs making. In effect these frames can be built in a very short time frame, but I want to take my time and smooth and paint the hemp lugs when there finished.

Then when the frame is finally finished, I still need to kit it out and turn it into a bike. I'll be a while yet.

• Like Like x 8
  3. OP
    OP
    chriswoody

chriswoody Über Member

So keeping in mind what I said earlier about the wheel clearance I decided that it was best if I properly tested the back wheel for clearance. Given I'm pretty much at the stage of glueing the frame, they'll be no going back at that stage. Up till now, I've just used some rough measurements taken off of an old wheel, and it's shown that clearance is there, but not much. So now I've got around to purchasing the actual wheels that I'll be using so they will actually fit in to the frame, unlike my old ones which are too wide. I decided to take out the rear jig and actually fit the wheel in place to check for the fit.

First things first was to borrow some of my kids lego and build an alternative jig to hold up the stays.

IMG_20171121_211449188.jpg

With that done and the rest of the stays taped firmly into place it was time to fit the wheel.

IMG_20171121_204229112.jpg

So whilst everything fits well and there is clearance, it is on the tight size and these are 25mm tyres, not much chance to upgrade to 28mm in the future.

IMG_20171121_204357117.jpg
    So I think I'll move the top of the Seat Stays further out, I've a few ideas on how best to do it, so I'll have a mess around with it tomorrow.

• Like Like x 8
  4. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

LEGO, the WORLDS greatest ever invention!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. QFour

QFour Regular

• Like Like x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    chriswoody

chriswoody Über Member

Thanks @QFour I'd seen a couple of builds on instructables, but not that one. He uses some interesting techniques to build that trike and the end result is really striking, I love the colouring of the Bamboo.