Self Build Bamboo Bike Frame Kit Build Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What colour are you going to paint it when it's finished?
Oi, you owe me a keyboard now, this ones all soggy. :biggrin:

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
If it was easy it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying. Well done so far, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bike and I bet you get more satisfaction out of it than if you'd spent 10K on some pro ready megabike.

Thanks, I'm definitely enjoying the challenges so far and feeling really pleased with the results. Strangely as much as I'd love a quick spin on a superbike, your right it would never give me as much satisfaction as this.

What colour are you going to paint it when it's finished?

Well most of it will be natural Bamboo, but the lugs will be painted. What colour though? Well I keep looking on their Instagram page at other peoples finished builds and I keep finding new inspiration so I'm not 100% sure yet.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Big Update Part 1

So far on this build I've just been working in the evenings, the odd half an hour here and there. However, the next step requires a solid 4 hour session to make sure that you complete it in one go. So the wife has taken the kids off today and with a massive stack of marking to do and nearly 100 reports to write, I decided to do the sensible thing and work on the bike!

I've been working up to this point, by preparing all of the joints, making sure that there are no big gaps and generally getting everything together. So this morning the worktable looked like this:

IMG_20180101_123111588.jpg

The first step is to cut the hemp to size and put the correct number of pieces by each joint so that were ready to go. There are two different thicknesses of hemp, thinner for the fine sections and thicker for the final wrap.

IMG_20180102_105639071.jpg

Then it was a case of diving in and just going for it. Not much chance to take photos, so if you want to see what I was up to, then take a look at the video in a previous post above. The dropouts are the first area to be bound and are fairly straight forward to do. After wrapping and soaking in resin, the joint is wrapped in electrical tape to provide compression whilst the glue sets.

IMG_20180102_113519260.jpg

So after several hours hard work the table was a complete mess, but everything was done and finished.

IMG_20180102_135413226_2.jpg

So I need to wait a few hours now for the resin to set enough to remove the tape and then release the frame from the jig. Quite nervous and excited now and just hoping I've not stuffed anything up.

I'll pop back later with some photos of the unwrapped frame free of the jig and I'll either be drowning my sorrows or celebrating!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Big Update Part 1

So far on this build I've just been working in the evenings, the odd half an hour here and there. However, the next step requires a solid 4 hour session to make sure that you complete it in one go. So the wife has taken the kids off today and with a massive stack of marking to do and nearly 100 reports to write, I decided to do the sensible thing and work on the bike!

I've been working up to this point, by preparing all of the joints, making sure that there are no big gaps and generally getting everything together. So this morning the worktable looked like this:

View attachment 389734

The first step is to cut the hemp to size and put the correct number of pieces by each joint so that were ready to go. There are two different thicknesses of hemp, thinner for the fine sections and thicker for the final wrap.

View attachment 389735

Then it was a case of diving in and just going for it. Not much chance to take photos, so if you want to see what I was up to, then take a look at the video in a previous post above. The dropouts are the first area to be bound and are fairly straight forward to do. After wrapping and soaking in resin, the joint is wrapped in electrical tape to provide compression whilst the glue sets.

View attachment 389737

So after several hours hard work the table was a complete mess, but everything was done and finished.

View attachment 389738

So I need to wait a few hours now for the resin to set enough to remove the tape and then release the frame from the jig. Quite nervous and excited now and just hoping I've not stuffed anything up.

I'll pop back later with some photos of the unwrapped frame free of the jig and I'll either be drowning my sorrows or celebrating!
:hyper:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Amazing, I'm pretty excited :laugh:

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Update Part 2

Sorry about the delay folks, kids needed putting to bed, hope no ones turned blue from holding their breath!

Anyway, the resin took a while to dry enough for the tape to be removed and then the tape put up a bit of a fight, but we got there in the end. So without further ado here's the frame in almost all it's glory:

IMG_20180102_183813914.jpg

That didn't go too badly. There's a few places that could be a lot neater, but structurally it's all sound and it feels really light. Heres a few close ups:

IMG_20180102_183822914.jpg
IMG_20180102_183836317.jpg

So constructions finished and it's now a case of working towards the final finish. So far I've removed some of the excess resin with a Stanley knife, at this stage it's too dangerous to sand. When it's fully cured and dried I'll go over it with some sand paper and start the process of smoothing down the lugs. Still some way to go yet.

Top Bottom