Self Build Bamboo Bike Frame Kit Build Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've lost track of the aesthetic decisions.

:laugh: you and me both!

So I'd laid an extra coat of resin down after the initial sanding to see how it looked, but I realised that I wouldn't be able to recreate a good enough finish to make me happy.

So it's back to plan A, which is:

To smooth out the last of the irregularities in the lugs with filler.

Paint the Lugs only in British Racing Green, followed by several coats of Lacquer.

Remove the protective paper from the Bamboo frame tubes. Paint the entire frame in Lacquer.

Crack open a beer.

Build the bike up.

Gary E

Veteran
Go on then! Some of us are watching this thread avidly waiting for new episodes :smile:

On a related note, once you've completed this project (season 1) what are you'r plans for season 2? maybe a Bamboo Tandem or a Recumbent??

Seriously, it's been great following your progress on here, thanks for sharing your project :smile:

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well as much as I'd love there to be a season 2, I've a feeling the wife would go mad at me!

So I've been a little frustrated of late, as much as I've wanted to be marching on with this, the weather has other ideas. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm working outside at the moment due to the dust and fumes generated by the filling and sanding. Frustratingly it's been far to cold to work outside too much. However I have had some odd occasions where I've managed to catch a window of good weather. So far it's been an endless round of sanding, applying more filler, then more sanding. I've used a range of different grades of sandpaper and the end result is really smooth. It's starting to look good and the headstock is 95% finished. The raw Bamboo is still hiding under it's protective paper and waiting for the day the lugs are painted before seeing the light of day again.

I've also received the paint from spray.bike and bought some primer as well. Again I'll need to wait until Spring properly shows up, because the paint doesn't like to be used in cold temperatures, ideally 15°C would be best. So updates will slow down until Spring decides to finally show up I'm afraid.

IMG_20180309_174714650-(1).jpg

IMG_20180309_174726818-(1).jpg

@chriswoody I don't know what happened to my settings, but I have been away from your amazing build for quite some time, the big problem I have now is that my jaw is gaping open so much in utter and complete amazement at what you have created that typing this is proving to be quite difficult !!

Roll on the warmer weather.

All the best

Phil

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well springs arrived! We've had some glorious weather this last week and thankfully I've also been off work for the Easter break. So in-between household chores and Daddy day care, I've managed to squeeze in some extra bike time.

Mostly it's been endless rounds of sanding and filler. I'm permanently covered in dust and the fingerprint sensor on my phone no longer responds to my fingerprint, it's so filled in. However, today I finally reached the point where I declared myself ready for the first round of primer. So I masked off the BB, headtube and seat tube.

IMG_20180406_145654181.jpg

Then I set to work with the primer, passing over with light strokes and slowly building up the finish.

IMG_20180406_152543966.jpg

Overall it didn't look to bad. However, as expected it did show up some flaws here and there. So it's back to sanding and filling. Oh the joys!

IMG_20180406_153556503.jpg

IMG_20180406_153617559.jpg

The actual end colour will be a fair bit darker, so hopefully the flaws won't stand out so much, but I'll keep working at it. With lighter evenings and warmer weather I'm hoping to progress reasonably quickly now. who knows I may even finish this month?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Well springs arrived! We've had some glorious weather this last week and thankfully I've also been off work for the Easter break. So in-between household chores and Daddy day care, I've managed to squeeze in some extra bike time.

Mostly it's been endless rounds of sanding and filler. I'm permanently covered in dust and the fingerprint sensor on my phone no longer responds to my fingerprint, it's so filled in. However, today I finally reached the point where I declared myself ready for the first round of primer. So I masked off the BB, headtube and seat tube.

View attachment 403239

Then I set to work with the primer, passing over with light strokes and slowly building up the finish.

View attachment 403241

Overall it didn't look to bad. However, as expected it did show up some flaws here and there. So it's back to sanding and filling. Oh the joys!

View attachment 403242

View attachment 403243

The actual end colour will be a fair bit darker, so hopefully the flaws won't stand out so much, but I'll keep working at it. With lighter evenings and warmer weather I'm hoping to progress reasonably quickly now. who knows I may even finish this month?
Getting there, it's worth putting that extra effort in now, would be a shame to spoil it at the end, have really enjoyed this thread.

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
That looks really smooth, especially around the head tube.

It is really smooth, however I'm a little troubled by all the pin prick holes. Having just seen @JhnBssll reply though, I'm going to look into that high build primer idea. Thanks!

Thanks @derrick I'm definitely trying to keep the level of work high and not settle for, it will do. I've come to far now and will never be happy if I rush to finish it.

If you spray on some stopper as Drago said , dust some dark colour over it very lightly once it is dry . Once it has dried you can then wet flat it and it will show up any imperfections which can either be flatted back or filled carefully with a tiny bit of filler .
It has been an interesting project so keep up the good work .

Top Bottom