Self-Powered Bike Trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
One for @stuee147, to think about.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/07/a-self-powered-bike-trailer-that-pulls-all-of-its-own-weight/

"They’re a cheaper and often less stressful way to get around a big city, but compared to a car, bikes kind of suck when it comes to hauling cargo. A trailer certainly helps if you’re willing to put in the extra effort needed to haul it, but there’s now a better solution. Someone’s created a self-propelled bike trailer that makes it feel like your bicycle is pulling nothing at all."

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Push trailers are common in the US I've seen a few using the BoB Yak single wheel trailer

raleighnut

Legendary Member
One for @stuee147, to think about.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/07/a-self-powered-bike-trailer-that-pulls-all-of-its-own-weight/

"They’re a cheaper and often less stressful way to get around a big city, but compared to a car, bikes kind of suck when it comes to hauling cargo. A trailer certainly helps if you’re willing to put in the extra effort needed to haul it, but there’s now a better solution. Someone’s created a self-propelled bike trailer that makes it feel like your bicycle is pulling nothing at all."
:eek:You can get an electric wheel kit for £400 or 450 with a bigger battery (I fitted one to Maz's Dawes, now want one fer the Trike. End of the month :whistle: :hyper:)

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Said stuee147 because he's toying with the idea of building a trailer & converting MkII to electric assist.

Possible way of getting both with one item this way.

stuee147

i like it im still not decided on what trailer to build im still in the planing stage and working out different sizes and shapes, its a lot harder than MK1 and MK2 the plans for them both went well but i just cant seem to get the trailer how i want it.
i like the idea of the trailer being virtually weightless for the rider they must use some form of pressure/force meter to prevent the trailer from pushing you forward, i wonder if they have a auto braking system too, im planing on using wheels with disk brakes for my trailer and iv more or less figured out how im going to conect it up similar to a caravan so it will apply the brakes as i go down hill or slow down and im also going to have a handbrake to stop the trailer rolling when unhooked from the trike.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
The rules on Electric Assist apply to the bike or trike. Not the trailer.

The rules on Electric Assist apply to the bike or trike. Not the trailer.

The regulations refer to electrically assisted, and do not specify where the assistance is actually placed

Trailers are linked to the pedals, either regulated by throttle or providing "pedal assist", becoming controlled by the bike... hence the combination is fully fitting the definitions in law of an "EAPC"

It is still "assisting" the bike and therefore needs to comply with the same law as any other electrical assist system

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Department of Transport said the rules apply to the bike or trike and not any trailer being used.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The regulations refer to electrically assisted, and do not specify where the assistance is actually placed

Trailers are linked to the pedals, either regulated by throttle or providing "pedal assist", becoming controlled by the bike... hence the combination is fully fitting the definitions in law of an "EAPC"

It is still "assisting" the bike and therefore needs to comply with the same law as any other electrical assist system
Spoilsports :sad:

BTW I knew this, the cycle and trailer become 1 vehicle when connected together.

Top Bottom