Sella positive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Where as in the past a positive test used to give that sinking feeling of here we go again, I think that now is the time to welcome them. It shows that the target testing system is working and people who continue to dope are being caught, despite thinking that what they are taking is undetectable. Every single positive must make a good many other riders think that doping is just not worth the risk anymore, as a positive now makes a rider virtually unemployable in the top echelons of the sport.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Will1985 said:
Sella tests positive for CERA in a targeted out of competition test: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/aug08/aug06news

Looks like every outstanding ride of the season has been put under suspicion.

If it turns out he was using at the Giro, can I claim a retrospective victory in the fantasy league?!? :sad: :blush:

I thought he had wings at the Giro. As Boardman said (I think) ," If it looks unbelievable, it probably is"

BTW, that was an unbelievable ride by Castre at AdH, wasn't it?:biggrin:

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Agreed - you can't go on the attack day after day like Ricco and Sella have done in the Grands Tours. As with Sastre, the Schleck brothers showed they were each fallible on one mountain stage or another.

As for Schumacher going on those consecutive day long outings on stages 16 & 17, are they considered suspicous? Granted he didn't win, but surely he would have been knackered after the first one, making the following day more unbelievable. I'm pretty sure that "unbelievable" was used by the commentary team about him on stage 17, just as the Boardman saying goes. We know he has done drugs, just not the right sort, so I'm only jumping to conclusions. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When will they learn - don't go winning stuff and expect not to get tested out of competition 'eh....... fools. Glad they are getting caught, but the drug users are always one 'slight' step ahead..........

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Keith Oates said:
As he's been 'caught' out of competition and after the Giro is over, does that mean his Giro wins still stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess so as he's deemed to have been clean at the time.

mondobongo

Über Member
Keith Oates said:
As he's been 'caught' out of competition and after the Giro is over, does that mean his Giro wins still stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The UCI have requested that his Giro samples be re-tested by the same lab in Paris if positive they will take them back.

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
yenrod said:
No, Ricco didnt dope in the Giro but did in the tour :rolleyes:

I never mentioned Ricco there in that post - I know he has said his Giro ride was clean.

My last sentence in the original post was referring to Sella (obvious given the subject of the thread)....he was the highest points scorer in the Giro fantasy table and was the only significant difference between Alan H and myself.

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Keith Oates said:

Unless he admits that he did and it is erased from the record books... There must be precedence for this sort of thing - just can't think of any off the top of my head except for Millar's 2003 World TT title and 2004 TdF stage win.

Skip Madness

Emanuele Sella gets a one year suspension from CONI.

I am glad that he has, according to the article, "named names" and cooperated with the investigation, and I would like to be able to draw a line under the debacle... but one year? One paltry year? This guy totally defrauded the Giro, what was it, three stage wins, very nearly four, plus the mountains classification and a top-ten placing. There is all this talk about upping the standard suspension to four years, and yet here is Sella getting one. If the standard at present is two years, then cooperation and naming names should get you 20 months in my eyes (although to be honest I would rather they stuck with two years regardless). This guy could be riding again next August.

Top Bottom