Sella positive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I agree, it sticks in the craw.

Sella tested positive a week after Ricco was caught. How long dose epo stay in the body?

Ravenz

Just how far down the line does it go, if I may broaden the debate slightly? I think any professional athlete of any professional sport should be tested almost 'every single minute of every single day' - if you excuse the hyperbole. They have a day to day job that is pretty damned enviable in many respects, doing something that they should absolutely 'love'. I dont have sympathy at all for any who are caught or who moan at having to be part of a drug testing scheme and that includes whinging poncy footballers who are about to be part of the process as well.
So .. how far down the line does it go..?. doing a simple internet search and EPO can be purchased for .. well.. not exactly cheap, but it can be bought.. availability, bad role models.. temptation to do it to improve that performance... to match the 5k shelled out on the latest carbon..?
How many do you see in the gym whose suspect pumped and cut bodies are due to steroid abuse...? it's all part of the same mind set to take short cuts to achieve a dillusional goal that in the end is going to bite you hard in the backside.

Keith Oates

Janner
It seems odd that CONI can go against the guidelines laid down by the UCI. A shortened sentence because you 'name names' seems wrong to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates said:
It seems odd that CONI can go against the guidelines laid down by the UCI. A shortened sentence because you 'name names' seems wrong to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Depends on the quality of the intelligence that you provide. But yes, one measly year is rubbish. I'd expect conclusive evidence that will lead to other dopers being nailed for a sentence that lenient...

mondobongo

Über Member
Joke sentence!!! Naming names should not really entitle a reduction and if it did a maximum of 3 months meaning that in most cases you would still miss two seasons.

mondobongo said:
Joke sentence!!! Naming names should not really entitle a reduction and if it did a maximum of 3 months meaning that in most cases you would still miss two seasons.
Surely you need to be able to offer dopers some incentive to sing when they get caught?

robbowatson

Chuffy said:
Surely you need to be able to offer dopers some incentive to sing when they get caught?

Agreed, but time off a ban is not it. I think it should be mandatory for the rider in question to get sacked from his team without a pay off as it is gross misconduct. If you failed a drugs test at work, you'd be fired with no questions asked.

Perhaps the same needs to be done for our 'model' pros???

robbowatson said:
Agreed, but time off a ban is not it. I think it should be mandatory for the rider in question to get sacked from his team without a pay off as it is gross misconduct. If you failed a drugs test at work, you'd be fired with no questions asked.

Perhaps the same needs to be done for our 'model' pros???
I suspect that you'll find that's the case anyway. Contracts will have a 'dope and you're out' clause and certainly no pay-off. Time off a ban is about the only meaningful carrot that could be offered.

Monders - I agree that a one year ban is too light, but you (and Keef) seemed to be implying that there should be no reduction at all.

robbowatson

Chuffy said:
I suspect that you'll find that's the case anyway. Contracts will have a 'dope and you're out' clause and certainly no pay-off. Time off a ban is about the only meaningful carrot that could be offered.

I really hope that this is true, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out if this isn't the case...;)

If the initial ban was a minimum of 2 years, then perhaps depending on how co-operative said rider is then you can look at taking time off the given ban??

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It'll make more sense if they introduce a 4 year ban and then allow mitigation of 1 or 2 years for co-operating.

Tetedelacourse

Eek! This isn't straightforward is it? Three potential problems that spring to mind with incentivising grassing:

1. What would the authorities do with the information? They'd have to investigate but it would take a lot of work (and expense) to pin someone down, unlike doping where you get caught red-handed(or blood-celled).

2. How does it sit with the competitive nature of pro-cycling? There would be scope for dragging your (possibly innocent) competition down with you if you got caught. eg Yes I doped, yes I want 3 months off my sentence, so yes it was Uncle Lance who supplied me. See ya Lance!

3. What would it do for your reputation? You'd already be tarred as a cheat, but would you want to be tarred as a cheat and a snitch too for the sake of 3 months?

I think that something should be done but I can't see a way round the above probs. Anyone got any answers?

Top Bottom