Selle Italia Turbo Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
Thought I'd write up a review of this great saddle for curious minds.

Note: This is the first classic type saddle I've used, so cannot vouch for San Marco, Brooks, Flite etc.

I recently built up a retro/classic bike and was in search for a retro saddle. I was torn between a Brooks B17 or a Turbo, but out of a gamble I chose the Turbo. I chose the Turbo at £45 from Ribble cycles to save a bit of cash. When I received it, it looks very aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but I was having regrets feeling the hard surface with my hands. I was expecting this to hurt my behind like sitting on a brick.

But, I am absolutely surprised by this saddle and how comfortable it is. Yes, sit bones and backsides are different. But me having 135mm sit bones, found this to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. I have had several Charge Spoons and stock seats. Charge Spoon can't compare to this seat (in my personal experience) for comfortability. It's a little heavy, but as long as you're not weight conscious about your bike, it's perfect. I've rode everyday on this, at the start my sit bones were hurting a little (although I've had the same with my other saddles) but after several minutes the pain goes away.

The suede on the Brown version (I own) is very pleasing to the eye too. But, I noticed swaet/rain can change the condition of the suede. Now, if you want your classic bike seat to look new, I'd go for the black leather version, but if you want your seat to look used and classic (like Brooks) the brown seat will be suitable overtime.

I'd say this seat for comfort (which is the most important) is a 7.5/10 And 10/10 for looks.

As said, all backsides are different, but I highly recommend it. Money well spent.

Thanks.

Psyclist.

p4pb9281144.jpg

my dawes came with a beat up version of the same saddle, very comfy

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Please excuse the thread revival: Are they still comfortable? I'm looking for a saddle for multiday touring as that's just exposed a very small flaw (very slightly rubbing the back of my thigh) and I'm thinking that the last comfortable hard-wearing saddle I had was a 1980s one so I'm looking at the classics.

Last edited:

sneaky beaky

Great review - only just today been for a 15miler with an old turbo to test difference from doing a charge spoon test ride a couple of nights ago...

I snook up to castlerigg stone circle (near keswick, cumbria) for a magic ride round, I swear the bike seems faster now :hello:

Must say, I'd never heard of er...sit bones until a few days ago, been sitting on foil and silly things since :rolleyes:

The brooks b-17 gets good reviews, pricey though and i think its all a bit of a gamble too, not an exact science, so to speak.

Todays conclusion was a much improved ride and didn't notice the extra 100grams or so...however, the saddle does look bulky, but if it stays comfy for a 3 hour ride or more then it will stay put for now at least

cheers

20160610_150208.jpg

Reactions: mjr

Drago

Legendary Member
If you're not too worried about period riginality the Charge Bucket is the same design as the Turbo but finished with funky material on the covers. They're out of production themselves, but plenty of new ones still around. They are pleasantly comfy.

Goggs

Guru
Nice review. I had a blue suede on on a Benotto I raced in my teens. I loved it but it went with the bike when I sold it on. Since then the most comfortable saddles I've owned were two Rolls (similar to the Turbo) & a Targa (?). The Targa had a perforated leather top & a clever suspension system. Only about a 1/2" of travel but surprisingly effective. I've just Googled that saddle but I can't find it. Who knows what it was called.

I think the classics are best though.

Top Bottom