Selling a laptop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Dear everyone,

I don't use my laptop anymore so my partner is buying it off me. I'd like to wipe it clean so it's faster and easier for her to use (for work). It's windows 10 so the login is linked to my e-mail address. Would it be best to wipe it clean, or do a factory reset? I haven't bought any software and I've backed up all my files, so can I just format the C drive or is there a better way?

thanks,

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Having recently reinstalled Win7 I can confirm that it's transformed this machine, but I have to wonder, Win10 suggests it's not that old, and you say you haven't bought any software. Do you have any particular reason to believe it's slowed down significantly? (Mine had - big time.) If it hasn't, would it not be easier just to delete all your personal stuff and hand it over? (If it has, then a factory reset would seem the way to go. I seem to recall that formatting the C drive is best avoided if possible.)

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
ok thanks. No, no reason to wipe it if not necessary. It's not slow. I just wanted her to have a "new" machine with as few remnants of me on as possible. but I don't mind if formatting the C drive is ill advised. I will maybe just change the log-in to connect to her account rather than mine.

cheers

D

Deleted member 26715

Don't do Windoze, but doesn't it have a restore function, can't you just go back to original install?

Dear everyone,

I don't use my laptop anymore so my partner is buying it off me. I'd like to wipe it clean so it's faster and easier for her to use (for work). It's windows 10 so the login is linked to my e-mail address. Would it be best to wipe it clean, or do a factory reset? I haven't bought any software and I've backed up all my files, so can I just format the C drive or is there a better way?

thanks,
I'd reset it to get it back to its out-of-the-box state (don't be reformatting the C: drive, if that's what you really meant).

• Press the Windows Key and Q
    • The Windows key is the two to the left (or two to the right) of the space bar
  • Type Reset
  • Choose "Reset This PC"
  • Under "Reset this PC" click "Get Started" and follow the prompts

Would you lose all the updates since the original installation?
No

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd reset it to get it back to its out-of-the-box state (don't be reformatting the C: drive, if that's what you really meant).

• Press the Windows Key and Q
    • The Windows key is the two to the left (or two to the right) of the space bar
  • Type Reset
  • Choose "Reset This PC"
  • Under "Reset this PC" click "Get Started" and follow the prompts
great thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fir information only, my Win10 PC crashed last year and I tried every trick in the book but I just could not restore it again. So I went to these people http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/key-software and bought a full installation disc for £29.99 which installed perfectly and runs well. Worth doing if you have similar problems or have built or bought a clean PC and don't want to pay the full Microsoft price.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fir information only, my Win10 PC crashed last year and I tried every trick in the book but I just could not restore it again. So I went to these people http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/key-software and bought a full installation disc for £29.99 which installed perfectly and runs well. Worth doing if you have similar problems or have built or bought a clean PC and don't want to pay the full Microsoft price.
I did similar (download rather than disc) except with Windows 7, which I'm perfectly happy with, which cost me the princely sum of 99p! For good measure I also installed a fully licensed copy of MS Office 2007 for £1.95. Transformed me laptop for under £3!

Top Bottom