Selling a second hand bike at the moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Is now a good time to sell a good quality second hand bike or is it best a wait for a while or does it make no difference when you decide to sell

I will be selling on Gumtree

arch684

Veteran
Try selling it in here,you never know

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of bike...if a carbon roadbike, you've probably missed the prime season...a winter bike or commuter could be a good time

Be prepared to ship it if you're not in London/a city and price realistically (see what similar bikes sell for on eBay and subtract 10% if going Gumtree)

Have the receipt / proof of ownership to hand if at all possible

A £100 bike will sell much quicker than one that is £500+

brucers

Guru
Generally selling is slower in winter, but also it's a right place right time thing, ie. luck! Gumtree and here are free so you lose nothing by going ahead.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Generally selling is slower in winter, but also it's a right place right time thing, ie. luck! Gumtree and here are free so you lose nothing by going ahead.
Incorrect. You lose time telling people every couple of days that, Yes, it *is* still for sale. And also responding to random questions about the item without seemingly any interest in buying the damn thing.
I even had someone tell me they didn't like the guitarist who played the same kind of guitar I was selling once.
Gumtree is pain.

brucers

Guru
Incorrect. You lose time telling people every couple of days that, Yes, it *is* still for sale. And also responding to random questions about the item without seemingly any interest in buying the damn thing.
I even had someone tell me they didn't like the guitarist who played the same kind of guitar I was selling once.
Gumtree is pain.

Haha, you are dead right. My 1st line on any Gumtree ad reads 'if you are reading this ad then I still have item to sell!' Having said that makes no difference to advertiser if it's summer or winter

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You can't even give stuff away on Gumtree without getting hassle. I had a nice quality wooden cot taking up garage space which I decided to put on Gumtree for free, just to get rid.
Cue endless days of "is it still there?", "I'll be there at 6", and multiple excuses of cat deaths, mum hospitalizations, and freak weather conditions to explain no shows.

byegad

Legendary Member
Last time I sold a bike I put it in the paper (So a long time ago, then!) and offered free delivery within 20 miles. I had a buyer the day the paper came out who was chuffed as little Teacakes with the bike.

Top Bottom