Selling/disposing used bikes

What do you do with your 1-3 year old bike when you want to upgrade?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Just wondering what most people do when they want to upgrade their bikes - I am put off upgrading because I don't know what to do with the old one, I don't feel I can keep it because I know I won't use it, and its too good to throw away. Do they fetch reasonable sums when selling through ebay for example?

Keith Oates

Janner
If you don't have a second bike and your not desperate to get some cash then I would keep it and use it in the winter or if the new bike needs some repairs etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
Selling is a funny thing...I got a new carbon last year, already have a winter commuter so my 4 year old but well used , but well cared for Bianchi was well and truly surplus to requirements.
I advertised it last year in the local friday ads... £220, hardly got a reply. Kept it till this spring, re-advertised it for £300, got an immediate response, sold it for £280.
The message may well be, don't underprice it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had no joy selling on here and have used eBay. Yes, there is a 10% fee (:gun: ) but you get a much wider pool of buyers and can probably sell for 10% more. Bikes will sell on here, but have to be much more patient. I am usually selling as I have just bought a new bike and need the space and to pay off the CC :whistle:

Durian

Über Member
When I recently replaced my mtb I offered to give my old one to a friend, he wouldn't take it for free so I said a bottle of wine would be enough. He later gave me 10 litres of wine. Sadly the wine has gone but the bike is still in good nick.

Davidc

Guru
I sell them but they're usually over 10 years old so not much value left.

Have used ebay, local paper, and ads in shop windows at different times. Gave one to a not-for-profit company to do up and resell. Doing them up keeps a couple of people in work and a trainee in training, and their primary market is helping people who need them for getting to work - so no problems with that.

D

Deleted member 1258

Why sell a bike thats less than three year old? I would expect to keep a bike for at least five or six years and I'd more likely keep it for nine or ten years before getting rid.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
3 years old? My first racer is 5 years old and the only reason I dont use it is because I have changed to a hybrid to commute on. The hybrid is a 2009 model (used) and my MTB is a 2012 model. My good racer is a 2011 model but has done little mileage (until I got it, I have done 4000 miles so far).

3 years is not a long time. Components will wear out if you cycle a lot but replacing them isnt massively financially problematic. Over three years I would probably have to replace cassette (twice), chain (three times), tires (pair twice), innertubes (when I got a puncture (average 4 per year)), brake pads (once).
Money wise:
Cassette x2 (£40)
Chain x3 (£30)
Tires x4 (£60)
Innertubes x10 (£25)
Pads x2 (£10)

Total: £165
So not a lot over 3 years (averaging 6000 miles per year).

Teuchter

Über Member
I've had good results on both eBay and Gumtree but tend to try Gumtree first (it's free after all). Worked for me for both old (over 30 years old) and relatively new (under 3 years old) bikes ranging in value from £50 to over £400. The trick for selling online is to price it realistically and describe it well and honestly so people know what they're looking at. Also time of year is a factor... you'll get more interest in spring or summer than in the middle of winter.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why sell a bike thats less than three year old? I would expect to keep a bike for at least five or six years and I'd more likely keep it for nine or ten years before getting rid.
A whole 3 years! I normally get upgraditis or changitis after 12 months! Other than the Pearson which I use so infrequently, it'll get a year's use in about 20!

Top Bottom