Selling part of your garden.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skibird

Hi All,
We are hopefully buying a new house very soon, which has a decent size garden (bigger than what we currently have which is quite big) and our EA lives the other side of it. All of her road have very small back gardens and she has asked if we would sell some of ours to her.
We don't need to sell, but are wondering if there is a standard price for selling off some of your garden, or is it just a case of 'how much do they want it'?

Thanks in advance
Bev

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes, it's a question of how much do they want it. I'd be tempted to get a surveyor to negotiate for me.

weareHKR

If you have a mortgage over your property, you will need the mortgagee’s consent to release part of the land from your ownership. Whether the lender will consent is likely to depend on the amount left on your mortgage and the value of the land. The lender may refer this to an independent valuer and they must make sure that releasing the land will not jeopardise their interest in the land.

alicat

Legendary Member
The OP hasn't bought the house yet so they could make it clear to the mortgagee that the land registry title is going to be split and then the garden could be sold at the same time as the OP buys the house.

Oh and get the estate agent to pay your legal fees for splitting the title and the sale.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

If you have a mortgage over your property, you will need the mortgagee’s consent to release part of the land from your ownership. Whether the lender will consent is likely to depend on the amount left on your mortgage and the value of the land. The lender may refer this to an independent valuer and they must make sure that releasing the land will not jeopardise their interest in the land.
No mortgage, thanks.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

How much land are we talking about? Are you sure your estate agent isn't after obtaining enough ground to sneak up another property?
Not a lot, around 12 foot we think, which would double what she already has. She said she had asked the owner (who died aged 98), but she wasn't interested, and there are massive trees on the boundary, which as well as blocking the sun from her garden, has caused problems with her drainage.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Each side will need a solicitor, as the details to the Land Registry need verifying. (It isn't just a case of agreeing a line on a drawing, although that helps). So there are two lots of fees there (it should be around £400 per side). Your EA should be paying the fees IMO.
The value of the land depends very much on what someone is prepared to pay for it.

I went through a similar process recently. For a small patch of land to enable me to build a big garage, my neighbour wanted 10K and I was prepared to go to 2K. So that deal wasn't done. However he did give me another bit of land (just tidying up the boundary really as it was unclear where it was (I live in the country)) and I paid both sets of sols fees. I thought we'd simply be able to draw up a plan, with measurements, and send off to Land Registry, but there's a part on the forms which has to be verified by a sol (I presume to stop any suggestion of undue pressure.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

Each side will need a solicitor, as the details to the Land Registry need verifying. (It isn't just a case of agreeing a line on a drawing, although that helps). So there are two lots of fees there (it should be around £400 per side). Your EA should be paying the fees IMO.
The value of the land depends very much on what someone is prepared to pay for it.

I went through a similar process recently. For a small patch of land to enable me to build a big garage, my neighbour wanted 10K and I was prepared to go to 2K. So that deal wasn't done. However he did give me another bit of land (just tidying up the boundary really as it was unclear where it was (I live in the country)) and I paid both sets of sols fees. I thought we'd simply be able to draw up a plan, with measurements, and send off to Land Registry, but there's a part on the forms which has to be verified by a sol (I presume to stop any suggestion of undue pressure.
Thanks for the info, very useful to know.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not a lot, around 12 foot we think, which would double what she already has. She said she had asked the owner (who died aged 98), but she wasn't interested, and there are massive trees on the boundary, which as well as blocking the sun from her garden, has caused problems with her drainage.
Doesn't really rule out my question! Might be worth putting some legal conditions into any purchase (like no property developments!). Would be a shame to find yourself overshadowed by a quarter million pound property while the estate agent has rapidly departed clutching a big bag of £££££. Just my cynical contribution.......

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not a lot, about £4 per square metre is the norm outside of Larndon, a fairly standard fee. Legal fees and land searches extra, and will likely cost more than the land. I know this, because my old Feller has just bought a load of land from the garden over the back of him (he's in Kent), about 20 x 15 metres, which extends his patch somewhat.

That's just for garden. If it's to be built upon it'll have greater value as a commercial proposition, and more still if there is outline or confirmed planning consent in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skibird

Doesn't really rule out my question! Might be worth putting some legal conditions into any purchase (like no property developments!). Would be a shame to find yourself overshadowed by a quarter million pound property while the estate agent has rapidly departed clutching a big bag of £££££. Just my cynical contribution.......
Thanks, but If you saw the location and her garden, you would know that is never going to be a possibility.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

It's not a lot, about £4 per square metre is the norm outside of Larndon, a fairly standard fee. Legal fees and land searches extra, and will likely cost more than the land. I know this, because my old Feller has just bought a load of land from the garden over the back of him (he's in Kent), about 20 x 15 metres, which extends his patch somewhat.

That's just for garden. If it's to be built upon it'll have greater value as a commercial proposition, and more still if there is outline or confirmed planning consent in place.
It is just for garden, but if it isn't worth our bother financially, we won't sell any of it.

T4tomo

Guru
reading between the lines, getting control of the massive trees to get them sorted out is probably part of the motivation too, as if they don't impact your sunlight, you're not going to go to the expense of tree surgeons to sort them out.

OP
OP
S

Skibird

reading between the lines, getting control of the massive trees to get them sorted out is probably part of the motivation too, as if they don't impact your sunlight, you're not going to go to the expense of tree surgeons to sort them out.
Possibly, but we have already told her that whatever the outcome, we will get rid of the trees as they actually block our view of the downs (we are only moving 2 doors up for another project).

Top Bottom