Semi integrated headset.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Salty seadog, 5 Mar 2018.

Tags:
  1. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Hi, I have a semi integrated headset that has gone clunky and notchy, wanting to straight line the wheel. Would this be a complete replacement or just bearings? I have no experience with anything with bearings.

2. You can flip the seals off, replace and repack the bearings, but it’s a false economy, might as well just replace the lot.

Salty seadog likes this.
  3. Tangoup51

Tangoup51 'HISS' said the tire, 'F***!' replied the rider.

It's a false economy to replace the whole lot when all it probably needs is a slather of grease..

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

If it's notching then the races are brinelled and will need replacing.

5. If it’s graunching, and there’s play in the headset, chances are the bearings are worn too much, up to you if you think it’s worth the risk of just sticking grease all over worn out bearings to make them feel smooth. Personally, I’d consider that less than sensible, at best, and certainly not best practice, but if you want to do that, it’s up to you.

6. Unless it’s a ‘race less’ set up, a couple of my bikes are. The crown race isn’t a separate component.

Mister Paul likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

Don't know what sort it is as I've never worked on any parts with bearings myself. Going to the lbs tomorrow.

Racing roadkill likes this.
  8. That’s always a wise move, if in any doubt. There are lots of different headset types, it’s nearly as confusing as B.B. standards:laugh:

Salty seadog likes this.
  9. Tangoup51

Headset play is a very common indicator the headset needs a service. It doesn't have to mean the bearings are worn out as it might mean the grease has washed out or the headset has shaken loose from miles and miles of riding.

If putting grease on the bearings makes them feel smooth, then the bearings aren't in need of replacement.

I don't agree you should take your bike to the LBS everytime your headset has play in it. And you shouldn't be giving that advice, either.

10. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

It's not that it has play on it but is feeling graunchy, notch y and the steering feels off. If it was just play I'd nip it up.

Mister Paul likes this.
  11. Tangoup51

I figured it didn't have any play in it.

I'd say that your grease has washed out and been replaced with rust on the race. It's an easy and inexpensive fix, but you'd have to get your hands dirty.

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

If it's centering then it's not the balls, and grease won't fix it. Headset bearings centre to straight ahead because the surface the balls run on has worn at the point where they spend most of their time, so they want to drop back into the dips.

13. OP
    OP
    Salty seadog

Ok, makes sense, I guess an annual re-greasing would help prevent this.

14. True, but if you’re stripping and inspecting the headset anyway, you’ll know what the score is, no guess work involved.

15. It certainly can’t hurt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice