Semi integrated headset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I have a semi integrated headset that has gone clunky and notchy, wanting to straight line the wheel. Would this be a complete replacement or just bearings? I have no experience with anything with bearings.
You can flip the seals off, replace and repack the bearings, but it’s a false economy, might as well just replace the lot.

It's a false economy to replace the whole lot when all it probably needs is a slather of grease..
If it’s graunching, and there’s play in the headset, chances are the bearings are worn too much, up to you if you think it’s worth the risk of just sticking grease all over worn out bearings to make them feel smooth. Personally, I’d consider that less than sensible, at best, and certainly not best practice, but if you want to do that, it’s up to you.

[QUOTE 5173213, member: 45"]If it's notching then the races are brinelled and will need replacing.[/QUOTE]
Unless it’s a ‘race less’ set up, a couple of my bikes are. The crown race isn’t a separate component.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
If it’s graunching, and there’s play in the headset, chances are the bearings are worn too much, up to you if you think it’s worth the risk of just sticking grease all over worn out bearings to make them feel smooth. Personally, I’d consider that less than sensible, at best, and certainly not best practice, but if you want to do that, it’s up to you.

Unless it’s a ‘race less’ set up, a couple of my bikes are. The crown race isn’t a separate component.

Don't know what sort it is as I've never worked on any parts with bearings myself. Going to the lbs tomorrow.

Tangoup51

Headset play is a very common indicator the headset needs a service. It doesn't have to mean the bearings are worn out as it might mean the grease has washed out or the headset has shaken loose from miles and miles of riding.

If putting grease on the bearings makes them feel smooth, then the bearings aren't in need of replacement.

I don't agree you should take your bike to the LBS everytime your headset has play in it. And you shouldn't be giving that advice, either.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Headset play is a very common indicator the headset needs a service. It doesn't have to mean the bearings are worn out as it might mean the grease has washed out or the headset has shaken loose from miles and miles of riding.

If putting grease on the bearings makes them feel smooth, then the bearings aren't in need of replacement.

I don't agree you should take your bike to the LBS everytime your headset has play in it. And you shouldn't be giving that advice, either.

It's not that it has play on it but is feeling graunchy, notch y and the steering feels off. If it was just play I'd nip it up.

Tangoup51

It's not that it has play on it but is feeling graunchy, notch y and the steering feels off. If it was just play I'd nip it up.

I figured it didn't have any play in it.

I'd say that your grease has washed out and been replaced with rust on the race. It's an easy and inexpensive fix, but you'd have to get your hands dirty.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

[QUOTE 5174239, member: 45"]If it's centering then it's not the balls, and grease won't fix it. Headset bearings centre to straight ahead because the surface the balls run on has worn at the point where they spend most of their time, so they want to drop back into the dips.[/QUOTE]

Ok, makes sense, I guess an annual re-greasing would help prevent this.

[QUOTE 5174239, member: 45"]If it's centering then it's not the balls, and grease won't fix it. Headset bearings centre to straight ahead because the surface the balls run on has worn at the point where they spend most of their time, so they want to drop back into the dips.[/QUOTE]
True, but if you’re stripping and inspecting the headset anyway, you’ll know what the score is, no guess work involved.

Top Bottom