Senior riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think there are lots of us in our 60s, 70s and 80s. Maybe beyond!
Is that 'senior' enough for you? I'm right in the middle of that age range, but I think of it as my second - and better - youth.

Me too. 79 in March this year. I love my time on the bike more and more. It keeps me sane and helps my overall fitness. Did just short of 1400 miles in '22 and am looking forward to more and more bike time this year. If this sodding weather improves.

Me too. 79 in March this year. I love my time on the bike more and more. It keeps me sane and helps my overall fitness. Did just short of 1400 miles in '22 and am looking forward to more and more bike time this year. If this sodding weather improves.

Ah yes. The weather. My weatherproofing definitely seems to have reduced as my age has increased.

Alex321

Veteran
I’m 64 and one year retired. My retirement so far has been bike riding and that’s been enough. Maintained both my weight and my savings balance so so far so good. I have COPD from decades of smoking and breathing hard,panting etc from exertion is the BEST thing I can do for the condition. Riding to live longer but mostly just riding for the sheer enjoyment.

I just turned 64 today, but I don't expect to retire for at least 4-5 years, unless health issues intervene (I don't currently have any real health issues). Particularly so long as my employer continues with Hybrid working and I enjoy working there.

But the fact I am working full time is the biggest limiting factor on my cycling. During the week I can only generally get out after work (except the 2 commuting days), which limits me to 30-40 minutes if I go out before dinner, and not really more than an hour and a half or so if I go out later.

froze

Über Member
There is a guy in our city, who rides about 8 miles to work on his bike when the weather is decent, he owns a plumbing supply place that is nearly out of business, but he keeps plugging away at it. He rides a nice custom-made touring bike with panniers, he stops all along his route there and back and picks up cans, I also have seen him getting groceries and loading his panniers up. This guy is in his lower 90s, and while he doesn't go fast, he still rides. I hope I can still be riding like that in my 90s!

dicko

Guru
If exercise is your top reason for getting a bike, I'd suggest a regular trike. They handle differently to a bike but you get used to them. They're easy to mount and dismount. If you opt for an electric bike or trike I'd suggest get one from a bike shop, not a big box store. It will cost a bit more, then when it comes to servicing the machine, you can rely on the bike shop but you won't get any service from a big box store. A bike shop might not want to service a cheap bike or trike, as I found out when I took a friend's trike to a bike shop. The freewheel had gone bad and they said they don't service trikes. And this was a huge bike shop with two stores! I ended up doing the repair, myself.

One other consideration is where you will be riding. If you have safe roads in your area, then you'll be in good shape, but if you have to transport it, a trike will need a pickup truck or small trailer to tow it. I'm 76 and although e-bikes look interesting, I ride for exercise so my pedal bikes are good for me.

I started off with a Trike it had a ‘boot’ too

Attachments

• 61FB42F2-05AB-451F-87BC-4EAC9274202F.jpeg
    61FB42F2-05AB-451F-87BC-4EAC9274202F.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I started on a trike too, then graduated to a scooter, upon which I travelled all over Birmingham! I didn't get a proper bike until I was around 11 or 12, a Raleigh, which I rode and really caught the bug, joined a club, and built my first road-bike, Campag everything on an immaculate 2nd hand Ted Gerrard 531 frame when I was 13 or 14.

Top Bottom