Sensible parental advice..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Apparently there's a 'tradition' that if you're passing a pocket knife on to someone, even as a gift, the receiver must always pay for the knife, even just a penny.
Anyone else come across this one - ?
Commercial fishermen are the most superstitious bunch you could ever meet. Fair play I suppose when you consider how dangerous it is, especially back in the day when there were zero safety measures, but I still have my old FIL's pocket knife which I treasure, but he did make me pay for one he got me not long before he passed away. He came out working with me for a while, and rope was a common tool we used daily. He would always ask me if I had a knife, and he was so disappointed when I told him I didn't, but his retort still sticks with me, "no, but you'll have a comb." In those days, I did too. :laugh:

My wife won't give anyone a purse or wallet without money in it

I know better than to give her one with money as well (stop sniggering at the back - we know who you are!!!!!)

Also - she will never give a knife to anyone as a present - you have to buy your own!

She has all sorts of strange saying and advise - especially medical
for example - putting butter on a burn
and if you get a cut in your mouth she give you a spoonful of sugar

funnily enough most of them seem to work - often you can work out why if you think and research long enough - but they do seem weird at first!

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My wife won't give anyone a purse or wallet without money in it

I know better than to give her one with money as well (stop sniggering at the back - we know who you are!!!!!)

Also - she will never give a knife to anyone as a present - you have to buy your own!

She has all sorts of strange saying and advise - especially medical
for example - putting butter on a burn
and if you get a cut in your mouth she give you a spoonful of sugar

funnily enough most of them seem to work - often you can work out why if you think and research long enough - but they do seem weird at first!

My mum was the same red purses and knives..

Also, if you dropped a glove you shouldn't pick it up. Someone else had to pick it up for you or great misfortune would occur!

Just remembered that my Mum told me many times that my Grandad - who was a village Bobby - knew of dozens of children that were buried in the churchyard due to swallowing chewing gum

Many years ago I checked this out
apparently these kids had been buried without a doctor having been involved at any point - because medical science are unaware of all these deaths!!!

Top Bottom