Sensible parental advice..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mum told me to always wash my winkle... Embarrassing, especially in front your of mates when you're 15 years old :laugh:

Blimey PeteXXX, I bet they didn't know where to look .....

PK99

Legendary Member
Stop pulling that face, if the wind changes it will stick.

You didn't listen, did you?

Alex321

Veteran
Opposite for us. My parents advised my now wife against marrying me.
54 years later and still going strong.

My parents and her parents each said to the prospective son/daughter in-law "Do you know what you are getting into with them?".

At this point, neither of us had met the prospective parent's in law, and nor had they met each other (We'd phoned to tell them we were engaged only 6 weeks after we met).

Not quite as long as you, but we are still married 42 years later.

Drago

Legendary Member
Advice from my dad, who was in the RE during WW2; always carry a pocket knife. At 69, still follow his sage advice. What amuses me is if I loan it to someone, it's invariably returned with the comment 'Cor, that's sharp - !'
Er, yes, it's a knife. :whistle:
The great General 'Mad Dog' Mattis is quoted as saying while he was the US SecDef...

"I always carry a knife in case there's cheesecake. Or in case I need to stab someone in the throat."

I wonder what advice his Dad gave him?

Last edited:

presta

Guru
Father:
The only people who get conned are those who think they're getting something for nothing.
Never sign anything you haven't read.
Mother:
Don't pull the stalks out of the apples, it'll make them go off.

My mum, in the 1960's told me I had to wear clean underpants "just in case I got knocked down" 😂
I've never been knocked down. If I'd known, it would have saved an awful lot of laundry.
My parents advised my now wife against marrying me.
I think my mum was warning one of my girlfriends off. Might have been something to do with her being an unmarried mum, and my mum being the one who helped her in and out of the bath on the maternity ward.

Top Bottom