Sensible Shaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I generally go for a little bit of stubble - what I assume most people perceive as a day or two's growth, but which for me is more like 4 or 5 days. I have an electric razor with a changeable heads, and the one that is like a hedge trimmer action (not sure what they are called) keeps it at the correct length. All very nice and low maintenance.

However, I do like to be clean shaven every now and again, and I find that the electric one - no matter what head I use - is not quite smooth enough for my liking, so on such occasions I use a blade. I've tried a few - years ago I had my grandad's dual edge safety razor, although sadly I can't find it now. It used to leave me looking rather messy, but in it's defence, I was a spotty youth then. I've also tried a 'shavette' which is like a cut-throat but with half a dual edge blade in it - I got quite good at that, but unless I do it every day to keep in practice, I generally end up with a wound that looks like I've tripped up ad fallen into a barbed wire fence. It's too high risk if the reason I'm shaving it to look 'smart'.

So maybe 2 years ago I bought a triple blade razor from Aldi, along with a fair few packets of blades. They were great, and much more sensibly priced than the big brands. However, I've now run out of blades, and it seems Aldi have moved on to 5 blade heads (which is at least 3 more than I need) that don't fit my handle. I don't really want to use disposable razors, but I also don't want to get the 5 blade heads because it's such a waste - there is a lot of 'spare' metal and plastic there that I just don't need. And I don't like buying into a system that might be discontinued at any moment, no matter how cheap it is.

What do you shave with? I'm tempted to get another dual edge 'safety' one on the grounds that it will last forever, and I'll always be able to get blades for it - and the blades themselves are easily recyclable and use minimal material.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I generally go for a little bit of stubble - what I assume most people perceive as a day or two's growth, but which for me is more like 4 or 5 days. I have an electric razor with a changeable heads, and the one that is like a hedge trimmer action (not sure what they are called) keeps it at the correct length. All very nice and low maintenance.

However, I do like to be clean shaven every now and again, and I find that the electric one - no matter what head I use - is not quite smooth enough for my liking, so on such occasions I use a blade. I've tried a few - years ago I had my grandad's dual edge safety razor, although sadly I can't find it now. It used to leave me looking rather messy, but in it's defence, I was a spotty youth then. I've also tried a 'shavette' which is like a cut-throat but with half a dual edge blade in it - I got quite good at that, but unless I do it every day to keep in practice, I generally end up with a wound that looks like I've tripped up ad fallen into a barbed wire fence. It's too high risk if the reason I'm shaving it to look 'smart'.

So maybe 2 years ago I bought a triple blade razor from Aldi, along with a fair few packets of blades. They were great, and much more sensibly priced than the big brands. However, I've now run out of blades, and it seems Aldi have moved on to 5 blade heads (which is at least 3 more than I need) that don't fit my handle. I don't really want to use disposable razors, but I also don't want to get the 5 blade heads because it's such a waste - there is a lot of 'spare' metal and plastic there that I just don't need. And I don't like buying into a system that might be discontinued at any moment, no matter how cheap it is.

What do you shave with? I'm tempted to get another dual edge 'safety' one on the grounds that it will last forever, and I'll always be able to get blades for it - and the blades themselves are easily recyclable and use minimal material.

Get a decent quality heavy brass 'safety' razor. They are maybe £20 because there is a bit of a poncy marketing behind it, but the blades themselves cost buttons. I cut myself less with it than all the double quatro patent stuff, and it just works. Whilst I do have a brush, but often as not just rub soap on my face. Mine is an Edwin Jagger - specifically this one https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-jagger-de89-black-rubber-coated-de-safety-razor.html and it's excellent. Their chrome handled one is a touch slippery, so I got the rubber one when I lost the chrome one. They seemingly do a long handle one these days, which I think might be better

Drago

Legendary Member
I dont shave! I prefer the hirsute look.

However, when I did I found most of these modern multi blade things useless. Instead of being hinged in the middle at the rear, they're hinged on the edge. Apply even light pressure and the far edge lifts and the near edge risks cutting in. Found cheaper razors hinged in the centre gave me a better and closer finish.

Smudge

Veteran
I have an Edwin Jagger de razor, it gives a good shave but not as quick as a modern razor as you have to go careful not to cut yourself.
Most of the time i use Gillette Blue 2 disposables, the standard ones with no lube strip or pivot head. I always stock up when they're on offer around £2.50 for 20. I also use proper shaving soap sticks, either Arko, Derby or Palmolive with a proper shaving brush.
Some time ago, i was sent a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 razor, free as a promotion. It was an excellent razor and gave me a great shave. I would carry on using this if the carts wasn't so expensive.
I've tried many different leccy shavers over the years, foil and rotary, some cheap some expensive, but none of them work that well for me and i always return to wet shaving with a blade.

Bic disposable blades for me. Double bladed. I shave once every week and one razor lasts 3-4 shaves.

Don't need or want anything more than two. Can't see the point of a 3+ blades on a safety razor.

Did try a four bladed one once, and afterwards my skin looked like I suffered from acne! :ohmy:

When in India I have a cut-throat shave once a week and my skin is SOO smooth. Don't trust myself to shave with one of those babies, though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A very special sword indeed, seeing as the samurai first appeared around 900 years ago :laugh:

That's what history records, but it us wrong , the first were indeed 2349 years ago. Check out the odd factoids thread for the definite answer.

Smudge

Veteran
Bic disposable blades for me. Double bladed. I shave once every week and one razor lasts 3-4 shaves.

Don't need or want anything more than two. Can't see the point of a 3+ blades on a safety razor.

Did try a four bladed one once, and afterwards my skin looked like I suffered from acne! :ohmy:

When in India I have a cut-throat shave once a week and my skin is SOO smooth. Don't trust myself to shave with one of those babies, though.

I also use the Bic 2 sometimes, they aren't bad and i can often get a pack of 10 for £1. They dont work quite as well for me as the Blue 2 tho.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Gillette Mach 3 for me. The blades stay sharp for ages and keeping an eye out for 3for2 offers means I'll get 24 blades for around £28 (an 8 pack is around £14) ...which lasts me well over 2 years. I tend to shave every two or three days.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Safety razor user here because I found it gives the closest shave and I suffer fewer nicks (if any) than with a plastic job. Shop around for blades and you can get 100 of them for £10 - £15 and they'll last you forever.

An electric shaver will never be as close because there's always a foil layer between the cutting heads and your skin.

I generally end up with a wound that looks like I've tripped up ad fallen into a barbed wire fence. It's too high risk if the reason I'm shaving it to look 'smart'.

In that case, do your shaving just before you go to bed the night before. That way things will have calmed down by morning and you'll be presentable again.

P.S. There's no need for foams or soaps if you wet your face for a few minutes first.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A few years back my beard trimmer gave up the ghost so I soldiered on just trimming with scissors until a family 'get together' came along (a wedding anniversary I seem to remember) so I bought some razors and set to. I was told in no uncertain terms never to do that again and Maz bought me a new beard trimmer.

Top Bottom