Sensible Shaving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would use a safety razor but I have some raised moles on my face which, last time I nicked them, took all day to stop bleeding. So I use an electric nearly every day, but nothing beats a safety razor for closeness I find

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Gillette Sensor disposables ..... and water. Haven't used any foam, gel or other "product" for at least 30 years. Find a disposable you can trust and keep it simple.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Gillette Sensor disposables ..... and water. Haven't used any foam, gel or other "product" for at least 30 years. Find a disposable you can trust and keep it simple.
Not a huge fan of disposable anything really, although I have used them on occasion when I've been away for work and have forgotten to pack shaving stuff.

Gillette Mach 3 for me. The blades stay sharp for ages and keeping an eye out for 3for2 offers means I'll get 24 blades for around £28 (an 8 pack is around £14) ...which lasts me well over 2 years. I tend to shave every two or three days.
Mach 3 for me as well, as quoted the blades last ages, and if you look on Ebay they are quite cheap

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For everyday shaving I use a posh Braun electric, which although expensive does give a pretty good shave. For my Sunday special shave, I use a double edge.

Smudge

Veteran
I only shave every other day. So i can have a day with stubble, where i convince myself I look cool with designer stubble, when in reality i look as rough as a badgers arse on that day.
But then the day after i can really enjoy the process of having a good 2 pass wet shave, slapping on some balm and being clean shaven that day. I then convince myself i look 25 again, when in reality..........

Another vote for Edwin Jagger DE razor, with a badger brush of course, Palmolive shaving soap stick, and Feather blades. Being lazy and shaving about once a week, the cartridge blades just clogged up all the time. DE blades get the job done easily, two passes do the trick, so takes a little longer to shave, but no going back............

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Horses for courses, I suspect.

I'm lucky in that I can get away with shaving every other day at a pinch, and I'm perfectly happy with how close my Philishave gets. That said, I was amazed at the difference when I recently replaced the heads.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Ooooh, a shaving thread! I've followed all the advice on these threads for years because I go into a mad Scots rage every time I have to buy a pack of Mach3 blades! As a result I have in my bathroom cabinet -

A cut throat, a Muhle safety razor, a Mach 3 with fancy handle, 2 Gillette multi blade thingies, a weird designer multi blade thingy. a Mach 3, a battery razor and a Panasonic electric razor all bundled with stypic bars, wool fat soap, balms etc etc.

What do I actually use regularly?

The electric shaver daily and the Mach 3 when my neck hair becomes too much for the shaver.

The most pleasurable is the safety razor - the hiss and sizzle as it slices through stubble is one of life's little pleasures but also good at slicing off skin and giving fierce razor burn on the neck. The cut throat was a short lived and bloody experiment. All the rest - meh.

I've spent a fortune trying to save money.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What a faff, I just mow the face every morning with my Braun rechargeable and go to work. I've grown beards twice in my life and on balance prefer to shave.

Desmond Morris asked in The Naked Ape why men bother shaving when they could easily depilate and not need to shave every day. He reckoned the daily shave was part of reminding ouselves that we are proper blokes. Back in the 70s human behaviour was a new science.

Top Bottom