The most stupid "sensible place" you've left something.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Mostly when I lose something, which is often, I've consciously put it in a "sensible place".

I could provide a very long list of such, but probably the worst ever was my sunglasses, unable to be located at the start of one summer.

A week long search finally located them.

In the attic.

Inside a ski boot.

Where I'd sensibly put them to avoid getting them crushed in the baggage on my way home from skiing.

Thread inspired by @SpokeyDokey and the search for their OHs boots. Perhaps it may even bring a suggestion or two. Are they in the attic inside that box of DIY stuff?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the fabric grilles for my bookshelf speakers. I couldn't find them for 15 years and it drove me slightly mental because i knew I'd put them somewhere. I eventually found them behind my hi-fi a couple of years ago, a place so logical it never crossed my mind to look there.

Sharky

Guru
Under the "stupid" classification, put my camera on the roof of the car while I took my jacket off. Got in and drove to the next stop and realised!

But I was also very lucky. The wrist strap had got caught by the door as it closed and it was still on the roof!

gbb

Legendary Member
not the same really but loosely connected...
Early 1980s i worked as a glorified engineering storeman. The stores was full of racks of parts bins, hundreds of them, I knew where every part was kept, every single one of hundreds.
I had a bad accident that saw me in hospital for two weeks, off work for 2 months. During that period we realised I'd lost my wedding band, no idea where it went, we assumed maybe taken off when I was in theatre, lost, stolen, whatever...gone.
About a year later I was doing a stock check at work, every single part counted and recorded.
I stretched up to a particular bin containing some obscure, never used, dusty part, pulled it down, there was my wedding ring :ohmy:.
To this day, I have no idea how it got there, up at the top layer of bins, in a bin I only visited once a year...a complete mystery to this day.

Slick

Guru
When I was newly married I worked offshore and once the honeymoon was over, it was straight back our there. First couple of days of a trip were always a bit fuzzy but after visiting the bathroom, I climbed back up to start working on the flare boom but suddenly became aware my wedding finger felt a but light. I went straight into panic mode when I realised my new ring was missing especially as the rig I was on was covered with Kennedy grating so any dropped object would already be at the bottom of the North Sea. Long story short, I retraced my steps more in hope than expectation and when I finally accepted I would never see my ring again, I pulled off my other glove to find my ring on the wrong hand. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

presta

Guru
Under the "stupid" classification, put my camera on the roof of the car while I took my jacket off. Got in and drove to the next stop and realised!

But I was also very lucky. The wrist strap had got caught by the door as it closed and it was still on the roof!

I once saw a car drive past with an open tin of paint on the roof just above the driver's door.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I bought a heavy chain and lock for a cycling trip back in May this year. Stupidly I put it in my packing locked, and put the keys in a safe place.
The day before the trip I couldn't find the keys so I bought another chain and lock. Grrr!

It was at the beginning of December I pulled on my walking boots. Ouch! That's where the keys were!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I left/hid £4500 in a LP/record the other year and then couldn't find the record!:unsure: I spent days thinking that I'd subconsciously given the LP to a charity shop and it'd made someone's day big style.:sad: Panic over, I found the record at the back of a wardrobe.:rolleyes:
Was that one of your Victor Silvester or Mantovani LP’s ?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Managed to leave a large screwdriver on the car roof, drove 6 miles home. It only fell off with a clatter at the penultimate corner.
I like to think it demonstrates that I'm really a smooth driver...

Top Bottom