The most stupid "sensible place" you've left something.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
When we go on holiday abroad, I have always had the "sensible" habit of putting my car keys into the outside zipped pocket of one of the suitcases, so I can't forget them. I will take them out when we reach the airport for the flight home, and keep them with me.

Until I went on a trip to Finland (fortunately by myself), when I did the same thing, but forgot to take them out of the suitcase at the airport. The flight back involved a change at Schipol, which was rather tight for time. I made it - the case didn't.

So I arrived back at Cardiff airport with now way of getting into my car. I had to phone my wife to come and get me, then the day after when they delivered my delayed suitcase, to take me back down to Cardiff to pick up the car (we only had one key for that car). I was not popular!

That is to this day the only occasion I have had luggage not arrive with me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When we moved house years ago I cleared out the spice cupboard in the kitchen, full of small never used jars. At the back was a little wallet containing some long expired bank cards.

Some years before, going on holiday, I thought to myself: I don't need to these cards while I'm away, what's a safe place to put them?

It was very safe, as things turned out.:laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Specs...

Usually, resting on top of my head, but one particularly stupid hiding place was in my right hand while I was wandering around looking for them! :wacko:

A while back I got a message from a friend, not long after her partner turned 60, entitled "is it an age thing?" It was a picture of her partner's specs, tidily put away ... in the fridge.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Specs...

Usually, resting on top of my head, but one particularly stupid hiding place was in my right hand while I was wandering around looking for them! :wacko:

This from 2014.

Last summer whilst out on a training ride for the Ride 100, I and stopped at a local shop at about 75 miles for some food, the sun was out but the shop was dark and I removed my sunglasses, and put on my reading glasses so I could read what I was buying. I made my choices, paid for my food and went and sat outside with my bike and ate my grub, drank a drink and had rest before I went on my way. Suitably rested I disposed of my rubbish, got back on the bike, put my helmet back on and just before setting off I went to retrieve my sunglasses from my jersey pocket. They were not there, bugger, I went to where I was sitting, not there, I looked on top of the post box where my bike had been leaning, not there, I went back into the shop and asked the shopkeepers if they'd seen them, they had not, I looked around the shop, nothing. A customer said to me, "what are you looking for?", "my sunglasses" says I. She looked at me with a big smile and said " they are stuck in your helmet at the top" D'oh!

Ten minutes I spent looking for them.

Willd

Veteran
Not me, but the "better" half - lost her debit card, so in a panic cancelled it, thinking it might have been dropped outside / stolen. A couple of days after getting a new one she put her hand in her dressing gown pocket... :whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
And the porridge saucepan .

You need a cold chisel for that.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
When I was a young man I went through a stage of hiding my car keys when drunk at house parties, so I couldn’t be tempted into driving home.

The problem came in the morning when you had to find them again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think I may have a corker !

'Someone' may have lost an engagement and wedding ring when they went away for a weekend. They were put inside a 'sock' for safe keeping and placed into a drawer, then forgotten about until they had a clothes clear out. Said sock went in bin. Insurance claim, then realisation gold had gone up massively, so 'they' couldn't replace like for like, so a bit of upset all around.

Said replacements acquired.

Some time later (couple of years) person finds the originals. :whistle:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I spent days looking for the newly aquired V5 for my last car and had pretty much given up hope when I found it by chance in the recycling bin.

Top Bottom