September cycling in Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

With 5 days holiday approved today ,and new bike on the way, my mind has started to wander and plan a driving/cycling staycation to Cornwall. It's an area of Britain that I've never visited,and wish to see and explore

Can you knowledgeable lot suggest places to see or stay. I'm a big fan of Doc Martin,so Truro is a must,but from what I see on TV the hills are epic. Are there cycle routes that will bring me back to a centrally located hotel (ideally with an overnight bike lockup)?
After a couple of nights in Truro I wish to visit Lands End, and again I am looking for suggestions on where to stay and suitable cycling routes in the area.

All suggestions welcome

edit: Doc Martin is filmed in Port Isaac !

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
I've recently had a holiday in Marazion (walk over the causeway to St Michael's Mount) and twice did the far west peninsula. 50 wonderful glorious hilly miles. Clockwise through Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, Paul, St Buryan, Sennen, Lands End, Sennen, St Just, all the way along the north coast road, dropping back down just before St Ives. Although I did go into St Ives the first time, it's almost impossible to cycle back up the hill again (the only time I can ever remember pushing my bike up a hill).
Sorry I can't help with accommodation because we were self catering.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've recently had a holiday in Marazion (walk over the causeway to St Michael's Mount) and twice did the far west peninsula. 50 wonderful glorious hilly miles. Clockwise through Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole, Paul, St Buryan, Sennen, Lands End, Sennen, St Just, all the way along the north coast road, dropping back down just before St Ives. Although I did go into St Ives the first time, it's almost impossible to cycle back up the hill again (the only time I can ever remember pushing my bike up a hill).
Sorry I can't help with accommodation because we were self catering.
I liked that loop too. I don't remember a steep climb out of St Ives though and I can't see any chevrons on my OS map there. I do remember finding the climb up from Mousehole quite tough (heading south), especially because I had a strong headwind every time that I tackled it. I rode down to Sennen Cove to meet friends and found the climb back up to the A30 challenging.

Johnsop99

Veteran
The north coast from Bude, Crackington Haven, Boscastle, Tintagel & Port Isaac (Dr.Martin) offers some superb cycling country with fantastic sea/coastline views, and for a rest from hills there is the scenic Camel Trail (Bodmin, Wadebridge, Padstow). If you have the MTB with you there are good MTB trails at Lanhydrock and Cardinham Woods. If you've only got 5 days I would suggest staying at just one base either North coast or down west and then doing the other area next year. Plenty of cafes/tea rooms for your pasty/cream tea stop (jam on first). What ever you choose to do you're in for a treat!

I grew up in cornwall and still go back to visit family. If you like hills try Paul Hill at the back of Newlyn, its only a mile but avg 9.3%, 16% at the steepest. Its savage. Myself I would not cycle around the cornish roads on a hbrid or 29er, super light carbon hill climber would be the rider of the day, but then again I am a carbon tart.
I can help much with routes I just ask my garmin 1000 to set a circular route and pick the route with the most or least ascent depending on my mood. Falmouth area is nice, I used to live in Port Navas ( not much there not even a cafe) . Polperro is nice too, no cars allowed in season ( my grandparents owned a pub there)
also Lizard peninsula is worth a visit.
If I was not visiting family I would try to stay in Falmouth or Penzance, lots of pubs and places to eat. I dont know North cornwall much.

robing

Über Member
My only experience of Cornwall was on Lejog and lands end to Bristol. All I remember is it was very hilly! Enjoy, you can't really go wrong with the west side of the UK.

mikey951r

Veteran
My only experience too was on LEJOG and all I remember was climbing a steep hill then descending a short steep hill and repeating for 100 miles or so. I much prefer Devon.

13 rider

Guru
Hope you like hills I spent 2 weeks in July based just outside Newquay ( Holywell bay ) At home I average 30ft a miles climbing some rides in Cornwall were over 100ft a mile . I did this on a carbon roadie with 34/25 gearing and got up everything but it's hard work .As stated before stay off the A30 ! . I rode the quiet single track lanes the downside is all the descents have to be taken carefully as poor line of sight . Anywhere along the coast is going to be hilly . The coast road from Perranporth to Porthtowan and on to Hayle is very scenic but hilly . Have a good holiday sorry can't help with accomodation I pick a base and then do circular routes from there

Top Bottom