seriously confused on the club runs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
As the title points out i am seriously confused about the cycling club i am with as i have been getting emails asking for more volunteers and a facebook post saying Every adult member should aim to help out at at least one event a year. Are you doing your bit?

So i volunteered to lead a club run on the 6th november as i have a day off but i got told that due to not being a regular attendee i can't lead but there's a new guy who joined the club run on the 16th october has said he could lead the medium route on the same day and the response was cheers for that.

Should i take the matter up with the chairmen and secetary as they are always posting on facebook looking for a people to lead the club runs and should i also ask them about a midweek club ride for people who can't make the normal club runs i.e emergency service personal, people who work sundays.

I am not trying to get the club into disrepute, i just want opinions on the matter.

S-Express

Maybe the new guy is already a ride leader, or an experienced cyclist, despite only having joined recently. I wouldn't read too much into it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah i get what you mean but when they keep asking for volunteers but knock people back who want to help isn't exactly great
Maybe suggest they be clearer about what they want volunteers for and what qualifications they need for it. I think some clubs are fairly strict about wanting leaders to have their ride-leading qualifications before leading rides - I think that's part of the reason why our informal group call them navigators, guides or whatever, just so people aren't expecting snaking and marshalling and so on. The new guy might already hold the appropriate qualification from time with another club or a project.

Well done for volunteering, nonetheless. Keep it up.

davidphilips

Veteran
club asked for volunteers, you offered, if it turns out they dont need you this time you offered so you have done your part. i would not read anything into it, unless you have run a club or helped in the admin then its easy to underestimate the amount of work involved and the amount of decisions required each and every one that can not please everyone, my advice would be enjoy the club.

midlife

Guru
You could volunteer to be back marker instead and make a valuable contribution by ensuring no one is left behind, as well as helping with any mechanicals.

Are back markers still common? Just curious as we had them on club runs in the 70's. Even pushed a few people back then to help them keep up :smile:

Shaun

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im in a similar situation, i have been riding with a club for a few years but due to family commitments i cant make it regularly, others have come through and lead rides as they can make it every week and attend other club activities.
Am i bothered ? No because i still have a good time when i do get a ride , i enjoy helping people with mechanical s, getting them back onto the group and even pushed one guy up a hill when he was struggling.

Top Bottom