Seriously Unfit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan16ac

So I took my bike to work for the first time. It's a lot of downhill on the way there so wasn't too hard. But on the way back it's all uphill and I was really struggling. Now I'm home and my legs are absolutely killing me. Didn't realise I was so unfit!
Any tips for getting back on track?

Peteaud

Veteran
Dont go mad and overdo it, but just keep at it.

It does get easier and your fitness will improve to a level you wont believe.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had the same story as you, along with a good few other people on Cycle Chat.

7 years ago I picked up a bike to cycle one and half miles to train station. It was all down hill.
Took 7 minutes to cycle home and half an hour to recover. Mrs Ian thought I was going to have a heart attack. So did I.
But kept it up.
For the last 4 years I have averaged 10,000 cycling miles a year.

Keep it up - it get's easier and you get better and you get fitter and you get healthier.

Peteaud

Veteran
I had the same story as you, along with a good few other people on Cycle Chat.

7 years ago I picked up a bike to cycle one and half miles to train station. It was all down hill.
Took 7 minutes to cycle home and half an hour to recover. Mrs Ian thought I was going to have a heart attack. So did I.
But kept it up.
For the last 4 years I have averaged 10,000 cycling miles a year.

Keep it up - it get's easier and you get better and you get fitter and you get healthier.

:ohmy::bravo:

As the others, just keep at it.
Took up cycling to work 5 years ago and wondered what the hell I'd done.
It killed me but perseverance paid off.
I now own 3-bikes and not as much as IanRAuk, but I commute 50 miles a week and anywhere between 30 and 60 on weekends when the weather gets better(?)
I've also done the coast to coast, cyclone challenge, great north ride and a 180 mile 2-day ride.
Not bad I suppose for a relatively oldie on this site(not as old as some though ;) )

OP
OP
A

Alan16ac

Thanks for the replies.
So how do I ensure my seat is in the right place?
I'm going to stick at it! I just didn't realise I was so unfit! 6 years ago I could've cycled for miles!
I also need to get some glasses as the snow was getting in my eyes!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
So I took my bike to work for the first time. It's a lot of downhill on the way there so wasn't too hard. But on the way back it's all uphill and I was really struggling. Now I'm home and my legs are absolutely killing me. Didn't realise I was so unfit!
Any tips for getting back on track?
Yup its really easy, but hurts like hell. Just keep on doing it!

OP
OP
A

Alan16ac

I hadn't cycled for years till this morning either and I felt a bit wobbly at first. Trying to get used to 30 gears lol. But one things for sure I was wide awake when I got to work!

Andrew_P

I hadn't cycled for years till this morning either and I felt a bit wobbly at first. Trying to get used to 30 gears lol. But one things for sure I was wide awake when I got to work!
I rember those fisrt wobbly pedals, I also remember the sudden rush of pleasure and then thinking why the hell did I stop cycling 20 years ago..

Andrew_P

I returned from my first ever commute and sat prone on the sofa watching Spain in the 2010 WC, I remember it clearly the wife bringing a pint of water, I was like a beetroot she tried to engage me and I just said I can't talk at the moment.. it took me over 1 hour 25 minutes

Thanks for the replies.
So how do I ensure my seat is in the right place?
I'm going to stick at it! I just didn't realise I was so unfit! 6 years ago I could've cycled for miles!
I also need to get some glasses as the snow was getting in my eyes!
The easiest way to get a good approx is the 'heal on the pedal' method. With your heal on the pedal at 6pm your leg should be nearly straight (but not fully locked out). If not you need to raise your saddle until it is.

OP
OP
A

Alan16ac

I returned from my first ever commute and sat prone on the sofa watching Spain in the 2010 WC, I remember it clearly the wife bringing a pint of water, I was like a beetroot she tried to engage me and I just said I can't talk at the moment.. it took me over 1 hour 25 minutes

I'm sat on the sofa now recovering. Even though its killed me I'm looking forward to going to work tomorrow just so I can ride.

Top Bottom