Servicing hubs - cup and cone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
Has anyone got any tips for servicing cup and cone hubs, in this instance shimano but not sure if thats relavent.
I thought I had seen somewhere to only undo one side, but can not seem to find that article now.

bonj2

dont' bother, just get a new wheel. you can service it, but it'll just start to develop play again soon later.

GilesM

Legendary Member
The cup and cone hubs are very easy to service, and if you regularly replace the bearings it will increase the life of the cups and cones, obvously it is also easy to replace the cones.

You were right with your first comment, only remove the lock nut, washer and cone from one side, and then slide the spindle out with one set of cone/lock nut combination still fitted, the link below will take you to Shimano's technical documents, obviously you can then find the correct exploded drawing of your hubs, if it's a rear hub, it is easier to remove the free hub as well.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

If the bearings are still well greased then they will stay in the cups, if they are dry they will fall out everywhere, but don't worry, replace them. The good synthetic grease like this link
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Finish_Line_Synthetic_Grease_35oz_Tube/4000000036/
is ideal when you rebuild the hub with new bearings. The only special tools you need are cone spanners, and a cassette remover, one important tip, don't get grease or any thick oil in the free hub, it will clog the paws, and then it will freewheel both ways.

However for a good bit of information, try this link, even now he's left us, Mr Brown can still be a great help.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

IHTH

Have a go, shout if you have problems/questions

Giles

OP
OP
Domestique

Domestique

Über Member
Thanks for the replies, I should have checked Sheldons place xx(
The hubs I want to service are shimano 600's that I have had for years and just keep going and going.
I will have a go at the weekend

Mr Pig

Landslide said:
I find a magnet like this really useful for getting bearings out of the hub:

Seconded, I was about to say that. I would also buy new ball bearings before you start, you can get them at any bike shop. The rear ones are larger than the front, I can't remember the sizes.

OP
OP
Domestique

Domestique

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
.... I would also buy new ball bearings before you start, you can get them at any bike shop. The rear ones are larger than the front, I can't remember the sizes.

Good idea, by what I can see from the interweb the front should be 3/16's and the rears 1/4
Does that sound right ?
Also what is the best grease to use ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Grease -finish line teflon stuff - not cheap, but you don't need gallons and it's waterproof (well better at shifting water out of the way) - it's good - I've used if for years !

Mr Pig

I use lithium grease. I don't know if that's right or wrong but it's quite water resistant and has worked ok for me for many years. I'll try the Finish Line grease the next time, all their stuff is good.

Top Bottom