Servicing rear hub.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Morning all.

Just noticed this morning that my bike is squeaking when I peddle.

At first I thought it was the cranks, or the pedals - especially as it stops when I stop pedaling, but I think I've narrowed it down to the rear hub.

If I lean the bike over to the left, there's a distinct squeaking sound coming from the rear wheel. The brakes aren't rubbing, and no cables are touching anywhere, so I can only assume it's the rear hub.

And indeed, if I rock the bike back and forth with both wheels on the ground, I can hear some grinding.

I've not had a chance to get it up on the workstand as it's only just developed, so as I'll be looking at it at the weekend, I wondered if anyone had tips or videos they've used to make adjustments or if anyone knows whether this is common.

I've not had a SA hub since I had a Raleigh Grifter so I've no idea how to go about making adjustments or servicing it.

Any help would be gratefully received.

PS - it's a 6-speed.

Last edited:

Brommyboy

Über Member
Search on you tube:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6krXSs-lc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNxwMwzS3Jo

The 6-speed Brompton has a standard SA three speed hub construction, excepting that the driver takes different sprockets and the internal gearing is different. Assembly and servicing should be exactly as per other hubs.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
My first search on youtube pulled up some weird stop motion black and white video with dodgy music over the top and no actual instructions, so thanks for the links.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Also, no, I've not used any lubricant on the hub at all.

How do you go about doing that? As that would seem to be the most sensible thing to try first.

The only reference I can find so far is on Sheldon Brown who just says squirt some lube in the hollow end.

But I'm sure I've read elsewhere that there is (or maybe used to be) a specific lube hole.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The only reference I can find so far is on Sheldon Brown who just says squirt some lube in the hollow end.
That's what I do. I take the shifter/indicator rod out and inject gear oil until it seeps out, then ride it for a bit. Putting paper around the spokes and under the tyre when parked, until it stops oozing.

The alternative approach is to slather the innards with special grease at every service... and pray it stays in the correct places, as far as I can tell. Happily, I've not read of gear oil reacting badly with any of the greases used, so the worst case seems to be that the oil flushes out whatever grease remains which doesn't seem like a problem to me.

This compares to Shimano Nexus 3 hubs which won't hold oil even that well so I'm injecting a semi-fluid grease. I need to service that hub because I got sand in it, so I'll see what it looks like soon.
But I'm sure I've read elsewhere that there is (or maybe used to be) a specific lube hole.
Used to be. I think it's missing on post-1980s models.

12boy

Guru
Yes the old hubs did have an oil port in the middle of the hub. One of mine (without the port) became noisy and didn't shift well so I took it to the LBS who spent months fiddling around with it.There are very few bikes with IGH hubs in Wyoming so this was not something they were familiar with. Eventually they fixed it but said there are two types of grease needed, and they had used the heavier grease in the wrong place which negatively affected the ability of the hub to shift. After reading up on this I tried using oil, figuring if it didn't work I could take it back to the shop and have them restore the grease since it was likely the oil would dissolve the grease. I used a plastic vet syringe to insert a couple of CCs worth of synthetic motor oil 5/25 weight through the axle, although, as mjray has said, the extra oil seeps out, that stops after a while. When it starts getting noisy again I put a CC or so in and it runs flawlessly again. All you have to do to keep it that way is make sure the shifting rod is properly adjusted. You may have worn out the innards using the hub without lubrication, but applying the oil will let you know in a hurry if it works well after that.

Reactions: mjr

12boy

Guru
let us know how it goes. If you don't have a syringe a little oilcan with a tiny spout should work.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Before you go and start spurting everywhere. There's a well known B peculiarity, the suspension block assembly can and does squeak exactly as you've described. The easiest way to find out if it is and needs cleaning / greasing, is to spin the assembly round a few times. If the squeak stops, then you'll know. Sometimes the spinning method will stop the squeak long term, sometimes a short while.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Reactions: mjr

12boy

Guru
I would have to agree with Brommyboy on the suspension block being a possible sound source. You can check the suspension block by pressing on a pedal while not allowing the bike to move. It isn't always easy to tell if a noise is coming from the block, pedals, squeaky leather saddle etc. It seems to me that sound travels up the seat post. Still, it is a good idea to keep you hub well lubricated.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Well I did do this over the weekend and that particular squeak has disappeared entirely.

I just took the rear wheel off and put several drops of oil in where the chain comes out. Cured it almost instantly.

I do have another squeak now though. Which definitely seems pedal related. My left pedal has always squeaked a bit so that's going to be my next port of call. These are aftermarket SPDs rather than the Brompton pedals - and for some reason, it squeaks way more with my summer shoes compared to my winter boots.

Don't think it's the suspension block as I can't replicate it when not pedalling. Must have looked a right sight going around Hyde Park and leaning the bike over one way then the other, shifting my weight forwards and backwards, bouncing up and down on the pedals.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I often get a squeak on the road bike from the pedal area, a squirt of GT85 on my cleats (SPDs) cures it.

Top Bottom