Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All they will do at the shop will be to bounce it on its wheels to listen for loose bits, rock it against the front brake, adjust the brake cables and do a quick visual check and perhaps lube the chain if it looks dry

A well-maintained bike should never need a "service" because the owner will be continually adjusting it as it wears and parts settle. Learn to adjust it yourself and save time, expense and hassle.

Leodis

Veteran
Update on Evans Bronze service.

14 year old left in charge missed the fact the rear hanger was out by a good inch!! Running ok now after I returned.

Not sure I could service a BB or hubs or tru a wheel without damaging them, I would feel safer with a trained mech checking them over thanks.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Not sure about Evans to be honest took my Trek into a London branch wanting a silver service £55 plus a few minors received a call from their service centre stating all sorts of things most of which can’t be seen unless you start striping the bike down all of which ended up costing £160. I know you can just say no but then they will still charge for the silver service and put any issues down to the work you didn’t have done. i find this kind of sales pressure to be very bad even possibly bordering on a hard sales technique.
Might be a case of who you are lucky or unlucky enough to deal with when you call the shop. I rang Evans in Liverpool and said I thought my bike might need a gold service because they recommend you have one at 12 months, but the person I spoke to said it was probably unnecessary. I booked it in for a silver and she said the mechanic would be able to tell if it needed more doing....I was quite impressed, but obviously I'll have to wait until they actually do the job to be certain.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Again, at the risk of sounding sanctimonious, if a bike has reached the stage where it needs a "gold" service, what must it be like to ride?

The very first time I met up with my now regular cycling buddy to ride, I picked up his steel Pinarello and straight away knew that his headset was completely loose and the forks rocking by a couple of inches. When I pointed it out he was amazed and said he hadn't noticed! The rest of the bike was in a correspondingly neglected condition and I actually took it home with me to give it what I suppose would be called a service.

Billy Wizz

Über Member

What a great link,i have just done a service on my Boardman Hybrid,i couldnt be bothered taking it back to Halfords for its first six week service,when i went to pick it up new it was not ready,they had there dates mixed up,the bottle holder was upside down and the rear brake caliper was not in line,the squeak convinced me,Do It Yourself in the future.

Top Bottom