Setting off a speed camera.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
doughnut muncher .

smiley-laughing001.gif

Dan B

Disengaged member
He's kind of right. Bikes have no speedo so you can't be done for speeding
Not this one again ... my car has no breathalyser, so I can't be done for drunk driving.

Cyclists can't be done for speeding because (almost all of) the laws which impose speed limits only apply to motor vehicles, and bicycles are not motor vehicles. It has bothing to do with whether the bike is or could be fitted with a speedometer

Conversely, there are (or at least were) speed limits in some Royal Parks which do (did?) apply to bicycles, and cyclists have been done for exceeding those limits irrespective of whether their bikes had speedos

Last edited:
On one of our winter club runs (ie; actual running) there's one of those speed actuated SLOW DOWN! panels on one of the steady downhills (A628, from Pontefract, dropping down from the Water-Tower, into High Ackworth)

It's alway amusing & astounds any newcomers we have when a passing car iactivates it, the nearest runner to it invariably raises hands & shouts 'Yes!!', whilst we applaud :angel:

Only works with the gullible, or newbies though!!:thumbsup:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Abolished last year.
I was thinking of you when I wrote that.

byegad

Legendary Member
My faired trike will occasionally set of the 'Your Speed' signs at the start of speed limits in some of our local villages. There's a few where I'm going down hill fairly fast and they will trigger if I'm over 30mph. I've yet to find a Gatso with a decent down hill run to get that to go off, but the local force only use mobile Speed Cameras so one day I may be lucky.

I've dont think I've come accross a 30mph camera at the bottom of a good hill. I often go over the 35mph (110%+2mph) required for driver prosecution but I only do that on a long hill without the possibility of things pulling out, etc; a cyclist can't be done for speeding but I'd rarther not be dead :rolleyes:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Eventually found a speed camera in Leicester that I think I can trip. Went out today and attacked it, I hit 30.2mph before I had to slow for the car in front of me. Pretty sure it didn't flash me, but at least I broke the limit^_^

Top Bottom