setting saddle correctly - advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom87

I can't seem to get my saddle set so I'm just sat on my er, 'sit bones'. As you can imagine, being a male, this has some serious side-effects.

The bike is set up quite aggressively so that the seat is a fair bit higher than the bars. And this is the first time I've had an out and out racer, but this means that it's harder to sit comfortably. Everything I've read says the saddle should be horizontal. Surely the only way to stop resting on 'my bits' is to put it so it's slanting down slightly? Or do I need to bring it forward? My reach seems perfect as it is.

Any advice? The saddle, height, reach etc all seem to be fine... But going numb is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies!:evil:

Tynan

Veteran
get it setup properly, some will tell you get a cut out saddle but numb just means the saddles not correct, there's a million guides online, do it, small changes made real differences immediately

do you need it setup that aggressive?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I find the seat angle I like varies a bit depending on the bike. My TT bike was very uncomfortable with the seat horizontal (where I have it on my other bikes). I took it outside and made small adjustments to the angle and rode it a bit, found that when angled slightly down the difference in comfort was immediately apparent. Same thing for moving it backwards and forwards etc. (although if the reach is OK start with the angle).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Tom87, welcome.
Bike setting-up is part black art, but the linked guide is the best I've seen to date.
Saddle positions vary, too many people have them too far forward or too low. getting it right compared to the pedals is paramount to deliver efficient power and good balance, then adjust bars to meet you, not saddle to reach bars.
Small adjustments can make big differences!

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

BTW, My Brooks saddle on my TCR race bike is nose-up and probably 3" higher than the bars. No discomfort.

OP
OP
T

Tom87

Not much I can do about the bike being set up aggressively, seeing as how the saddle is at the right height. I'm perfectly comfortable (other than the nuts..), being young and 'supple'. I'll definitely have a look at some of those online guides though. Think I've got some bookmarked.

Yeah, I think I'll try tilting it down a bit. It's the only correction I can think of TBH.

OP
OP
T

Tom87

My arse is perfectly hard:becool:. It's the nuts that are the problem. I wish I could suck them in like that Chinese kung-fu dude.

yello

It does take some time to get used to a more "aggressive" set up. I have read advice suggesting that you do it bit by bit, little by little, to give your body time to adapt.

Tynan

Veteran
I'd try the nose done a fraction, and the fore aft adjustment

Before40

Just adjusted my Saddle up 1 Inch - What a difference! - All of a sudden hills are easier to climb, and the ride is much more enjoyable. Knocked 2 Mins of the time of my usual 25 mile ride.
Thanks for the advice!

Top Bottom