Setting up Cleats onto Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
A bit late for you now but another solution, especially if you have biomechanically troubled knees/ankles/feet is to use pedals/cleats with effectively endless float - Speedplay or Crank Brothers pedals all allow huge amounts of float (sideways rotation) although some Speedplays allow you to limit this. It's quite odd using these pedals at first - like pedalling on a layer of ice but you soon get used to it and your knees will thank you for it.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Fiona N said:
A bit late for you now but another solution, especially if you have biomechanically troubled knees/ankles/feet is to use pedals/cleats with effectively endless float - Speedplay or Crank Brothers pedals all allow huge amounts of float (sideways rotation) although some Speedplays allow you to limit this. It's quite odd using these pedals at first - like pedalling on a layer of ice but you soon get used to it and your knees will thank you for it.

I never thought that I would have a problem. I am hoping a bit more playing with the adjustment will sort it out. Funnily enough the right foot which is very comfortable, is on the leg that I badly broke years ago...the spd`s that I have have a fair amount of float.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, it sounds as if your problem is more one of the posture of the left foot on the pedal rather than the knee, right?

If you PM your address to me I'll post you a spare BG wedge to try under your insole.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Globalti said:
Yes, it sounds as if your problem is more one of the posture of the left foot on the pedal rather than the knee, right?

If you PM your address to me I'll post you a spare BG wedge to try under your insole.

Hi Globalti,

I think your right. The pain I got in the outside of my knee, came from (I think) from tilting inwards so as to stop the sensation of my foot slipping off the side of the pedal.

I have PM my address to you, many many thanks for your generous offer...;). I`ll give it a try and let you know...

OP
OP
koro

koro

Hi Globalti,
I recieved the "wedgie" today from you....many thanks once again.

Yesterday I went on about a 20mile ride adjusting the cleat a couple of times. Having the cleat further to the outside of my shoe did help a little. Just felt odd to my great feeling right foot. Today though, my knee is telling me what it thought..... I have placed the wedgie into the shoe, had a quick ride down the road, the sensation know feels the same as my right foot, it`s just my knee. Once that gets better, I`ll have another proper go...Its looking good though..

On looking on the website for Specialized footbeds, how do you determine which of the 3 footbeds to chose from? I never realised that I had a problem untill wearing cycling shoes..

Thanks again so much for your generous help.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Well, as there seems to quite a few peeps looking at this thread I thought I should give an update.

Today I cycled 25miles with the shim fitted inside my sole. This was kindly given to me by Globalti. Pardon my language, but bloody hell what a difference. No knee pain, and a comfortable feeling comparable with my right foot.

I shall now be purchasing some Specialized BG Footbeds.

I was a little dubious at first that a 1.5 mm shim could make that much difference, but it surely does..

Thanks Globalti once more..

Top Bottom