Setting up Cleats onto Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi, first time using spd`s yesterday, 20 miles. I had set the cleats, exactly the same on both shoes. My right foot felt comfortable, no problems at all. The left foot was very uncomfortable. At 10 miles i moved the cleat back a couple of mm, as it felt like the ball of my foot was in front of the pedal axis. On the way back it felt better, but now the foot felt like it was rolling off the outside edge of the pedal. This morning the outside of my knee feels a little sore, I am guessing I was subconciously compensating for the feeling I had. I have slid the cleat outwards a little ready for my next try...

Is it a case of pot luck in getting it comfortble, or is there an easier way of finding the correct settings, I am pleased that my right foot felt great, otherwise I would of given upon spd`s. Is it ok to have different cleat positions on either foot?

Thanks for reading..

Tynan

Veteran
it's an ag

you can get there and abouts but after that take the allen key out with you, if you get any ag at al from your knees, tinker a tiny bit, google will tell you which part of the kneee hurting means which way to move the clleat

tiny adjustments make a difference, eventually you get it right enough, after that only a really long ride will tell, for that matter a really long ride tells you about a lot of things on the bike that aren't quite right

The cleats should be in roughly the same spot on each shoe. Check that the left foot hasn't developed a tendency to lean over to the outside - my right foot does this so I have to consciously keep it flat and the best way of ensuring this is to keep the knees quite close to the top tube when pedalling-say 1".

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One wee quite probably pointless tip: when you do find the right position, make sure they're really tightly done up. Loose cleats = clipless moment...or at least is a major cause.

TechMech

lazyfatgit said:
Theres an article on knees and cleat placement in one of this months magazines. Think it was cycling active? maybe worth a look.

Yep it's in Cycling Active in the section "Knees: a user's guide" P92-100.

This issue will go off sale on the 2nd Feb as the new issue comes out on the 3rd.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a bit of a science.....

I spent a long time getting mine sorted (when clipless came out) and couldn't live with the 'fixed cleats' - Dura Ace LOOKS getting sold...argh.....(expensive error)

Then LOOK introduced float (thank god) as TIME hit the market..so went back to it...never "looked" back...........

Much easier these days. The fore/aft should be the same on each shoe, once you pinpoint the centre of the ball of the foot, but the rotation can vary.... It's hard for newcomers to get it right but do short test rides, with an allen key and see how you go.

DO NOT PUSH IT UNTIL HAPPY.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS...changing cleats on carbon soled shoes......

Mark out exactly where the cleat should be with tape, as the 'marker guides' on cleats don't dent carbon....... they used to on plastic type soles...not carbon shoes...

Globalti

Legendary Member
You did set the cleats to get the posture of the foot correct after sitting on the edge of a table to check? Your feet will fall into a natural posture, straight, toes in or toes out and you need to reproduce this on the bike, even if your heels are almost brushing the cranks.

If both cleats are identical and you're getting pain in the outside of one foot, you may need some correction wedges. I had this and I fitted Specialized BG footbeds with a wedge on the painful foot, which is now fine. It used to feel as if the foot was trying to slip off the pedal.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Globalti said:
You did set the cleats to get the posture of the foot correct after sitting on the edge of a table to check? Your feet will fall into a natural posture, straight, toes in or toes out and you need to reproduce this on the bike, even if your heels are almost brushing the cranks.
I have never heard of this. Is this true? It sounds plausible, but like I say, first I've ever heard of it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Of course! You sit on a table with your legs dangling and look at the posture of your feet then you aim to get close to that natural posture on the pedals.

I spent an evening on a track bike at the Manchester Velodrome and the hired shoes and cleats were set rigidly straight ahead. I could feel in my knees that more than a few miles would have wrecked my knee joints.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Globalti
"If both cleats are identical and you're getting pain in the outside of one foot, you may need some correction wedges. I had this and I fitted Specialized BG footbeds with a wedge on the painful foot, which is now fine. It used to feel as if the foot was trying to slip off the pedal."

Hi, thanks for the replies everyone, I shall be looking to pick up the magazine when it`s out. Hopefully with further adjustments I can correct my problem, it`s nice to know that I am not the only one to have a feeling of my foot slipping off the side of a pedal...couldn`t get my head around it, as with stiff cycling soles, I would have thought it would have felt like a huge pedal surface...

Top Bottom