Sewerage question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
probably checked once a year (if that) - saves them money
Exactly correct. They claim to only check once a year. In there opinion (and mine) it is unnecessary to do it more often. Although they should always check the meter when there is a new occupier and again within 6 months of them moving in. The latter is my opinion not something that I know they do.

Last edited:
If anyone would be so kind, do you know what you pay quarterly for sewerage (not including water)? My partner has had a bill for £350 for the quarter, not including water. That seems horrendous to me. It's a 3 bed semi, just her and her 2 boys. Mine is £60/quarter including water rates :ohmy:
Sewage Bills are directly related to water bills. The higher your water bill the higher your sewage bill. The assumption is that you are putting more sewage into the system unless you can prove otherwise. IE you have a swimming pool.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We're in London and are on mains water and sewerage charges based on the rateable value of our terraced house. We do have a Victorian soakaway under the garden which takes rainwater run-off from the rear slope of our roof. Strictly speaking, I think we could claim a rebate on our sewage charges because we don't dump that rainwater into the sewers, but I've not tried that.
Ten years ago there was a lot of propaganda about the benefit of water meters. I plumbed in a water meter where our mains supply enters the house and wired it into a small data logger, leaving it running for a couple of months. The only people living here were the two of us and a daughter...….no swimming pools or koi ponds. The washing machine runs twice a week on average, and we have a bath or shower daily. If we were on a water meter, the data showed that we would be paying hundreds of pounds more each year compared to being on a fixed charge. I was surprised.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I don’t know if this is true, but I understood that if you switched to a meter and it was more expensive then you could claim money back.

edit:

Ok, I looked it up for you, this is what MSE says....

• You may have up to two years to try it out. Switch to a water meter and, if you change your mind, you may be able to switch back within 12 months (though many companies offer up to 24 months, while others don't offer a choice). However, if you move into a home that already has a meter, you can't switch back. Check with your supplier to find out your options.”

10 yr ago, we did have a chat iirc regarding toilet use with IBS and my ulcerative colitis.
We didn't have any joy..
To be honest it's not too bad now with water butt and modern washing machines.
No kids :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Strictly speaking, I think we could claim a rebate on our sewage charges because we don't dump that rainwater into the sewers, but I've not tried that.

Yes, you can do that. My neighbours recently did just that - the process took a year or so of letters and wrangling, but I understand they got a noteworthy refund.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We discharge our surface water into the brook under the house so we get a 25% reduction in the amount we pay for surface water treatment. A few quid a year in other words.

Top Bottom