Sewing machine - why would I want more than 16 stitches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
:hello:
I had my previous machine for twenty-five years, and the stitch change knob got stiffer and stiffer. Servicing it did not help. There was no local sewing shop selling machines. Jaycotts were very helpful.

If you keep the Singer, it might cope better on straight stitching through very thick fabrics.
Yes I'm lucky to have a local shop where they'll demo the machines. Basically they said that Brother is the most reliable brand - they don't get them coming back to be repaired like they do for the other models.

I'm going to do my research now and then see what deals they have after Christmas.

The Singer is struggling a bit at the minute. Probably 'cos my neighbour dropped it in the street :sad: I need to have a good look at it.
Perhaps it's N+1 like bikes!
I suspect all hobbies have that potential 😄

Jameshow

Veteran
I've lost count of the machines my wife has now :laugh:

Not as many as your bikes I reckon!🤣🤣🤣

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes I'm lucky to have a local shop where they'll demo the machines. Basically they said that Brother is the most reliable brand - they don't get them coming back to be repaired like they do for the other models.

I'm going to do my research now and then see what deals they have after Christmas.

The Singer is struggling a bit at the minute. Probably 'cos my neighbour dropped it in the street :sad: I need to have a good look at it.

I suspect all hobbies have that potential 😄

Daughter has basic singer and it's started to struggle to sew two thickness of cotton without snapping the thread.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I am sure there are people on this forum whose partners do a lot of sewing
@fossyant
and @EltonFrog who sews lovely shirts

Thanks for mench, though I’m no use to you as far as machines go. All I know is, it’s a Janome, I think it does half a dozen or so stitches, quite basic but new, ( in as much it was never used when we got it). It’s got knobs and dials, no digital controls or display.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Daughter has basic singer and it's started to struggle to sew two thickness of cotton without snapping the thread.

Sounds like that needs looking at. A modern Singer or a classic one? Mine's slightly younger than this one, but a little older than me:laugh:

Mechanically there's not much to mine so servicing it is pretty straightforward.

Hebe

getting better all the time
I have a Juki, about 10 years old I think. It has more stitches than I need but I like some of the non stitch type functionality like auto stitching in of ends and thread cutting. Those might be standard functionality by now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not as many as your bikes I reckon!🤣🤣🤣

Only got 4 :sad:, and the Innovis 4000 and the Janome Computerised machines were £000's.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have 3. A basic starter up mini machine, a basic singer and an all the bells and whistles janome atelier 7. That thing has around 240 stitches.
One thing the gents and ladies on the sewing forum all agree on is that of the countless billions of different stitch patterns available to us, most of us only ever use 3 or 4 of those at any time.
Generally, higher end machines have a great deal more muscle for sewing denim/leather etc or multiple layers ie quilting and so on.
Ignore the number of stitches a machine has. Things like self threading, auto thread cut, locking stitches, variable foot pressure and so on are nice little treats to have.

Oooo, I have a Singer 99k (from 1941 according to the serial no) and I love it. Totally no frills, but sews brilliantly. Mine was a skip find, complete with case, instructions booklet and all the accessories. The foot control needs some tlc though, as it grinds a bit.

Otherwise, I use a 1960s gritzner-pfaff. It's a little bit more fancy, but still pretty straightforward. I have others I could use, but they seem to be dust traps... Mind, I only do soft furnishings and cat show drapes, no no real need for any of the fancy stuff.

@Jameshow - I'd suggest oiling and de-fluffing the works. If any of mine start snapping threads, could be the tension, as it needs to be adjusted for different fabric types. Also, cheap thread has a tendency to go ping - best I've found is the Gutterman range.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

@Reynard Listening to you I don't need a new machine at all!

I've also got a 1904ish Frister & Rossman, but I've never even tried threading that. It's just a pretty ornament - £2 from a market; not as much of a bargain as your Singer :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Oooo, I have a Singer 99k (from 1941 according to the serial no) and I love it. Totally no frills, but sews brilliantly. Mine was a skip find, complete with case, instructions booklet and all the accessories. The foot control needs some tlc though, as it grinds a bit.

You've got 99k problems but a stitch ain't one.

Top Bottom