Sewing machine - why would I want more than 16 stitches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'm planning to treat myself to a new sewing machine. I've been to our local sewing shop which has a wide range and lots of experience and I know that I want something from the Brother Innovis range. At the lower end of the range the machine comes with 16 stitch types, and it goes up from there - 50, 60, 80, etc.

The machine I have now and have used on and off for years is a 1960s Singer. Absolutely solid little machine but it only does straight stitches. And I've managed ok with that. I've made curtains and clothes on it.

So it feels as if 16 stitch types will be more than enough for me. I'm not planning to do anything fancy. I'm not likely to want to make clothes. I want to do some curtains in the New Year and I want to be able to do free motion stitching but the basic Brother does that.

So any thoughts why I should consider the machines with more stitch options and a few extra functions. I don't want to get features that I'll never use but equally I don't want to find in six months time that I really need that extra stitch and regret my choice.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have got a Brother Innovis 35, mid range I think. Looking at the stitch guide there are 70 stitches, of which 25 are, in my opinion, decorative, and I have not used them. That would leave about 45 that are useful.

There are seven buttonhole styles. Fifteen stitches does not sound like very many.

Do you know the model number of the one you are looking at?

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My mother was a seamstress and during war years had a good sideline making and altering clothes.
Latterly when I got married she made a wedding dress for my wife to be from a length of material and a pattern.
All this was done on a hand driven Singer bought about 1940 tho’ it may have been earlier so you do not really need a fancy machine.
We mostly used overlockers in our business but I still have 2 fairly old Singers and a Brother which is virtually unused as it was bought for a project which never got off the ground.
The Brother has all the bells and whistles but I have used it for hemming trouser legs and I think a zig zag stitch is better looking and for areas likely to have stress should be stronger.
Unless cost is a factor I would go for the higher range of stitches as you never know what may turn up later.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I know that you will be purchasing your new machine from your local shop. I bought mine from Jaycotts, you can look at the Brother models on their website and compare the number of stitches/features.

https://jaycotts.co.uk/collections/brother-sewing-machines

Personally I would avoid the very basic one which seems to be aimed at people new to sewing. I think you would find that very basic, and not versatile enough.

My current machine closely resembles the Innov-is A80. Their "offer" at the time included a "sew table" but not all the free motion accessories.

nb Edited to change the model number.

Last edited:
OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I know that you will be purchasing your new machine from your local shop. I bought mine from Jaycotts, you can look at the Brother models on their website and compare the number of stitches/features.

https://jaycotts.co.uk/collections/brother-sewing-machines:smile:

Personally I would avoid the very basic one which seems to be aimed at people new to sewing. I think you would find that very basic, and not versatile enough.

The 15 and the A16 both have 16 stitches. The A16 has more electronics but the features are more or less the same.

I just can't imagine why I'd want such a variety of stitches especially as I don't plan to make clothes. Extension tables are available for all the models if I decide I need one. I'd think that will be more useful than any number of buttonhole stitches!

And yes I'll hang on to the Singer though it's a 99K which is the small model so not ideal for bigger jobs.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I know very little of sewing machines but my wife has just bought a Brother Innovis 15 as the next step up from the very basic machine she's been using for a while. It was recommended to her by the people in the very good local shop we've got and she seems happy with it so far. She's also got a Brother 2104D overlocker and between the two machines she can do everything she wants to for now.

I think the main factor is budget TBH although as with everything there's also the learning curve to factor in.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've lost count of the machines my wife has now :laugh:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I know very little of sewing machines but my wife has just bought a Brother Innovis 15 as the next step up from the very basic machine she's been using for a while. It was recommended to her by the people in the very good local shop we've got and she seems happy with it so far. She's also got a Brother 2104D overlocker and between the two machines she can do everything she wants to for now.

I think the main factor is budget TBH although as with everything there's also the learning curve to factor in.

The 15 and the A16 both have 16 stitches. The A16 has more electronics but the features are more or less the same.

I just can't imagine why I'd want such a variety of stitches especially as I don't plan to make clothes. Extension tables are available for all the models if I decide I need one. I'd think that will be more useful than any number of buttonhole stitches!

And yes I'll hang on to the Singer though it's a 99K which is the small model so not ideal for bigger jobs.

If you are not planning to sew clothes, then yes 16 will be enough. If you do decide to make, or alter, clothes, then that should be enough choice. As @winjim says the more complex the machine, the steeper the learning curve.

I think when I bought my machine about seven years ago, there was not the range available. My machine has enough overlock/zigzag stitches for my needs, which is mainly clothes and clothes alterations.

I had my previous machine for twenty-five years, and the stitch change knob got stiffer and stiffer. Servicing it did not help. There was no local sewing shop selling machines. Jaycotts were very helpful.

If you keep the Singer, it might cope better on straight stitching through very thick fabrics.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mrs has a Janome computer embroidery machine, janome computerised overlocker, janome normal overlocker, a cheap overlocker and another basic janome sewing machine.

She also has a Brother Innovis 4000D (embroidery) and a Toyota Oekaki quilting machine.

Is that 8, FFS.

alicat

Legendary Member
I got a Janome model for Mrs L. It has direct gear drive rather than belt drive, so can tackle tougher, thicker fabrics. About 16 stitches I think.
At the risk of derailing the thread, do you know the model @MichaelW2? I'm apt to push my machine to the limits and I fear I've overdone it...

Top Bottom