Shakespeare quotes..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But are you? The literacy at the time was low, how do we know that he 'invented' these or they were just common phrases & he was the lucky baird who wrote them down.

Dr Johnson didn't invent English, but he didn't let that stop him compiling a dictionary.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Macbeth, The Tempest and The Merchant of Venice are all tremendous works. I studied them for A level English lit.They were taught and interpreted for us tremendously by excellent teachers, I got an 'A' grade, and they have all stayed with me ever since. Seen them all at the theatre since then too. :smile:

I'm sure the plays are a great joy if you 'get' them, but I never did.

Could/should have tried a bit harder.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
O Level Literature - Gullivers Travels (Lilliput), The Nun's Priest's Tale (Chaucer) & Henry V (Shakespeare). Dreary, dreary, dreary although Chaucer was drearier than Henry V to be fair.

Only took the thing as I was trying to please the teaching staff who said my O Level choices were too biased towards Maths and the Sciences.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm sure the plays are a great joy if you 'get' them, but I never did.

Could/should have tried a bit harder.
I wouldn't have got them without the teachers tbh. My family home only had about 4 books in it, and we weren't exactly steeped in literature. But it always appealed to me.

Drago

Legendary Member
Arnold Schwarzenegger got his first film part, Hercules in New York, when is agent fibbed to the produced that Arnie was a famous Shakespearean actor back home in Austria.

Arnold Schwarzenegger got his first film part, Hercules in New York, when is agent fibbed to the produced that Arnie was a famous Shakespearean actor back home in Austria.
Arnie famously offered to dub his own films into German but was declined. His Austrian accent was a bit like dubbing Sean Connery with Wurzel Gummidge.

D

Deleted member 26715

Arnie famously offered to dub his own films into German but was declined. His Austrian accent was a bit like dubbing Sean Connery with Wurzel Gummidge.
I always thought Sean Connery was Wurzel Gummidge they are so alike in many ways

I agree with Andy

“Shakespeare was a street artist, for goodness sakes, living by his wit’s”
A literary stand up street comic, that could lead a mob by wit and guile.
So to make Dosh, avoid arrest, and to circumvent authority moved indoors.
Adopting the mantle of respectability.
A Morecambe and Wise virtuoso, inviting leading actors of the day.
To “tack” part in his shenanigans, presented as plays.

Come on lets have reality check, people did the bad deeds yes,
but the psychological profiles portrayed, NO WAY.

This guy had a magical way with words, mobilised the English language
and sent it to War against, Sycophant Politicians, the mundane and the
Divas of the rich upper crust. Come back, all is forgiven!

Attachments

• trollsCC skrool.jpg
    trollsCC skrool.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 2

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I never did get excited about Shakespeare. Dull dull dull.

Dahl on the other hand is great....(Also where the above plant’s name comes from)

(Why do people pronounce dahlia ‘day-li-ahs’ and not ‘dar-li-ahs’ ?

Have you ever seen Shakespeare live where the audience gets involved? The original stalls in a circular arena. As they were intended. So very different to the dry texts of what you may have read at school.

I went to see plays in Stratford with a girlfriend years back. We laughed all the way back to the hotel. Brilliant.

Top Bottom