Shakespeare SPRING 100 - 7 April 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tried Saintbury for the first time last weekend in the knowledge it has been used on previous Shakespeare rides. A slow painful grind to say the least.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
I tried Saintbury for the first time last weekend in the knowledge it has been used on previous Shakespeare rides. A slow painful grind to say the least.

The upside (!) is that you'll have had a good run on the flat before you get there to get the legs ready!

rob

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's no good hoping Saintbury Hill won't be used James, we need to crack it beforehand.:laugh: :laugh:
Ah, Saintbury Hill - I remember it well!

saintbury-hill-profile-metric.gif

Or for Imperialists:

saintbury-hill-profile-imperial.gif

Have fun! :thumbsup:

I have no excuse Colin, the base of that mountain is only 4 miles away from my front door. I just need to man up and get there and get on with it!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have no excuse Colin, the base of that mountain is only 4 miles away from my front door. I just need to man up and get there and get on with it!
If you are really struggling, Brian, then it might be an idea to lower your gearing until the hill seems less intimidating. Better to tackle it 50 times in a low gear, than to dismount on it 5 times because you are overgeared and then give up altogether!

My gearing has been changed in both directions over the years, as my fitness has gone up and down. My road bike bottom gear has varied between 40" (42/28) and 25" (26/28).

Typhon

We have 30/25 on our Tribans. I never use the granny ring normally so effectively my lowest used gear is 39/25.....but then I don't usually go up Saintbury hill. Just getting up in the granny gear will be a challenge! I just hope the wind isn't coming from the south......but it normally does.

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
... there have been suggestions that we have boxes of tissues at various places on Saintbury ... grown men have been known to weep as they trudge up on foot :laugh:

No, not really ... it is steep but it's also a mind-set thing .... there's another hill near here that holds total terror for me, but it's really quite easy when you get to it (it just happens it's only about 3 miles away and invariably I'm on my way home after a long-ish ride)

Rob

Top Bottom